Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Automation Master
Automation Master

Remove Permissions From Different Lists

SharePoint Version - 2013

Nintex Workflows - 2013

I've 200+ lists where inheritance is broken and 2 users have been granted permission (different lists have different users). Now the requirement is to remove these users and grant permission to a SharePoint group.

Using "Permissions.asmx" web service, I'm able to:

1. Add permission 

2. Get Permission web method is giving me all the results (seems it's giving all the information from site collection level)

But my issue is with:

1. RemovePermission - It needs user's loginname. I'm unable to get this information since all my lists have different users

2. RemovePermissionCollection - It needs a memberIdsXML information. Since I don't know which user has access to that particular list, how to get member ID of that user? And also the format of XML !!!

Thanks,

- K

Labels: (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Automation Master
Automation Master

Re: Remove Permissions From Different Lists

Can you please explain why you want to use a workflow in that case? The same thing should be quite easy using powershell:

Remove all user permissions from list via powershell

Add user or group permission to list via powershell

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Automation Master
Automation Master

Hi @philipplucas,

I've a 3rd party add-on which is creating a list and also breaks inheritance on that list which it's creating and grants permissions to certain individuals....The way the process is:

1. The manager will go to master list where manager will create a list item and that information will be used by add-on as parameters for creating a list and granting permissions. 
  2. There is a User column in this master list. So, when the add-on is granting permission, it uses User column value and Created By value to grant permission
  3. Now, the process is changed and instead of created by value we now want to grant permission to a particular SP group and the User in User column
  4. Since this is a 3rd party solution, we don't have rights to make changes to their code. We have hundreds of list and on each list permissions are not same
  5. Using Site Workflow and a list workflow, I'm able to grant permission but I'm unable to remove permission. Just list Users, Created By are also not same on each and every list.

I know I can use PS script to remove/set permissions but we want business to manage this once it's done and that's the reason we want to use Nintex workflow.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Automation Master
Automation Master

I understand. You can give it a try using REST to remove all permissions with "breakRoleInheritance" method.

Method Reference

Example using REST

Call REST from Nintex Workflow

0 Kudos