SharePoint Workflow Integration for Content Types - Deploy Error

• 31 December 2007
  • 9 replies

Badge +8

I am on SP1.  I am messing around with SharePoint Workflow Integration.  What I want to do is create workflows for content types.  When I deploy the processes I am getting this error.  I get no errors when I build the processes.

Does this work?

Thanks,
Jason

Error 2 Task Error: System.Exception: Error occurred associating the workflow with the content type. ---> System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapException: Server was unable to process request. ---> Value does not fall within the expected range.
   at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.ReadResponse(SoapClientMessage message, WebResponse response, Stream responseStream, Boolean asyncCall)
   at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.Invoke(String methodName, Object[] parameters)
   at SourceCode.SharePoint.WebServices.K2SPWorkflowAssociations.AssociateWorkflowWithContentType(Guid FeatureID, String ContentTypeName, String TaskListName, String HistoryListName, String AssociationName, K2SPWorkflowStartOptions StartOptions, Boolean updateSiteAndListContentTypes)
   at SourceCode.Workflow.SharePoint.Common.WorkflowAssociations.AssociateWorkflowWithContentType(Guid FeatureID, String ContentTypeId, String TaskID, String HistoryID, String WorkflowFullName, WorkflowStartOptions StartOptions, Boolean updateSitesAndListContentTypes, CredentialCache CredCache)
   at SourceCode.DeploymentTasks.SharePoint.WorkflowIntegration.WorkflowIntegrationService.AssociateWorkflow(IntegrationObject integration)
   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
   at SourceCode.DeploymentTasks.SharePoint.WorkflowIntegration.WorkflowIntegrationService.AssociateWorkflow(IntegrationObject integration)
   at SourceCode.DeploymentTasks.SharePoint.WorkflowIntegration.WorkflowIntegrationService.Execute(IntegrationObject integration, Boolean testMode, Boolean createDependancies)
   at SourceCode.DeploymentTasks.SharePoint.WorkflowIntegration.WorkflowIntegrationTask.Execute()
 C:RDAK2ProcessesSOWRDA.K2.Process.SOWRDA.K2.Process.SOWobjDebugDeploymentRDA.K2.Process.SOW.msbuild 135 6 RDA.K2.Process.SOW

9 replies

Badge +9

Typically you will get this error if any of the lists used during the configuration of the workflow does not exist within MOSS, my money is on the “Workflow History” list. Also check the Task list to be safe.

Badge +8

Hi Jason,

Is your process based on a content type working? I've just designed such a process; thanks to your post here I avoided the build error, but when I add a document in a document library associated to the designated content type, no process instance starts.

Thanks

Badge +8
I never got back to this.  I was trying to proof of concept it for myself.
Badge

Hi Everyone,

Did anyone find a resolution to this problem?  I've been working on it all morning.....

Regards

Steve

Badge +8

Since I did what Rénier suggested, the error has not come back. 

Jason

Badge +8

I have a very similar error now:

Error 6 Task Error: System.Exception: Error occurred associating the workflow with the content type. ---> System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapException: Server was unable to process request. ---> Value cannot be null.
   at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.ReadResponse(SoapClientMessage message, WebResponse response, Stream responseStream, Boolean asyncCall)
   at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.Invoke(String methodName, Object[] parameters)
   at SourceCode.SharePoint.WebServices.K2SPWorkflowAssociations.AssociateWorkflowWithContentType(Guid FeatureID, String ContentTypeName, String TaskListName, String HistoryListName, String AssociationName, K2SPWorkflowStartOptions StartOptions, Boolean updateSiteAndListContentTypes)
   at SourceCode.Workflow.SharePoint.Common.WorkflowAssociations.AssociateWorkflowWithContentType(Guid FeatureID, String ContentTypeId, String TaskID, String HistoryID, String WorkflowFullName, WorkflowStartOptions StartOptions, Boolean updateSitesAndListContentTypes, CredentialCache CredCache)
   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
   at SourceCode.DeploymentTasks.SharePoint.WorkflowIntegration.WorkflowIntegrationService.Execute(IntegrationObject integration, Boolean testMode, Boolean createDependancies)
   at SourceCode.DeploymentTasks.SharePoint.WorkflowIntegration.WorkflowIntegrationTask.Execute()
 E:
imartinK2ProjectsSURF_ProjectSURF_ProjectobjDebugDeploymentSURF_Project.msbuild 77 6 SURF_Project

This time it's "Value cannot be null", and it's not related to the missing list problem (I have required lists).

Any idea?

Badge +3

Nicolas -- what steps did you take to get this particular error?  I tried several approaches to recreate what you did:

1. created a custom list called "Workflow History" under my site => ERROR: something like "the list does not extend from WorkflowHistory base"

2. cleared out the Workflow History value altogether in the process wizard and clicked Finish => ERROR: same as 2 above, BUT this one is a bug that we need to fix because the wizard shouldn't allow you to hit Finish if a required field is empty.

3. created a datafield and replaced the text "Workflow History" with that field => ERROR: same as japergis' error above.

4. same as step 3 above but set the default value of the datafield to "Workflow History" => ERROR: same as 3 above

but none of these yielded the same error you got "vlaue cannot be null"

please describe how to repeat that.

Badge +8
I'd like too, but I don't remember how I got this (shame on me). I think I created another content type since then and it worked. If I meet this error again, I'll post more details here. Sorry!
Badge +3
ah.  no worries.