Start Workflows for Multiple Content Types on Same List

• 24 March 2017
  • 2 replies

Badge +2

I am trying to figure out if it is possible to start multiple workflows on the same list from different start forms/content types. Right now I have a list where all projects start from the same start form, and all other possible workflows branch out from there. However, I was hoping to be able to start a workflow from a different start form on the same list.

The existing workflows track regular projects from start to finish. We've discovered a need to have a calendar that tracks future terminations of projects, so I set up a workflow for that purpose. I would like to be able to start this workflow from a button on the main page of the list rather than using the existing start form - the termination workflow start form is a much shorter form to fill out than the existing start form. I set up separate content types for this, but it seems that the start form for a new project can only be associated with the Default Content Type.

Is this an option at all? Or am I stuck starting this termination workflow manually whenever it needs to be used?

2 replies

Badge +8

Hi Juliana Jacobsen‌,

Yes, you can have multiple forms on one list (one per content type). Use conditional start (or filter workflow action) to determine when to start which workflow.

You also mention 'I would like to be able to start this workflow from a button on the main page of the list rather than using the existing start form'. There is the default Nintex Workflow option to add a start workflow event to the context menu of an item, but the following links are useful for a second option (column on list with link to start workflow):

Cheers,

Rick

Badge +2

Thank you very much for the advice, Rick. Unfortunately I was unsuccessful with your recommendations. I was finally able to solve my problem, but it involved creating a separate list. Once I had the start form and basic workflow set up on the new list, I was able to link it back to my original list. I'm sure it could have been done using a simpler method, but nothing else seemed to be working for me.