Help reading a mailbox, adding info in the messages to a smartobject and starting a workflow for it.

• 11 April 2018
  • 1 reply

So. Pretty complicated project I have here.

I need to read an Exchange mailbox and when new messages come in, I need to read the information in the body, extract the pertinent details and put then into a K2 SmartObject and start a workflow.

I also need the workflow to be able to check the SmartObject to make sure it catches duplicates because I don't control the sytem that is sending the message and it has been made abundantly clear to me that the developer of the system that is sending the duplicates will not be fixing that problem.  So I need to catch the duplicates on my end.  

I already have a script that will read the mailbox and parse the pertinent information into variables that I can pipe through an API.  So I was thinking I can use the SmartObject OData API to get the information into the SmartObject. 

The problem is ~ How do I start a workflow on that item in the table and how do I prevent duplicate entries in the table/workflows?

1 reply

Badge +9

It depends on how time critical the workflow needs to be. You could set a scheduled workflow to run every 5 mins that checks the table and then do whatever you need to? As for duplicates, maybe get some sort of serial number going that you can set it as a unique field that prevents duplicate entries from going in the table?