What are the differences between a Switch and Set a Condition?

Badge +2

We have a checkbox for users to re-route form approvals to a different department (they can have two bosses) on most of our forms. I'm trying to decided whether or not to use a Switch or Set a Condition to determine which approval path the form will take. What are the differences between a Switch and Set a Condition or what would be the benefits of using one over the other?

Thanks!

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hey Amy,

So a couple of differences, but for to say you could probably achieve what you want with both... The 'Set Condition' allows to you to check a value to meet a criteria of true or false essentially. It either equals something or not..

EG, Value = Red

Does value = Red, True, then go right.

Is value = Null, False, then go left

The switch allows to you check a value and then route down that values lane.

EG  Switch has 5 lanes Red, White, Blue, Green, Other

value = Red, Yes Go down 'Red' lane

value = White, Yes Go down the 'White' lane

Value = Black, Yes Go down the 'Other' lane

hope that helps

Badge

Hi Dan,

Does one work better when used in State Machines? I have a Marketing Submission Review process that has criteria around what the submitters picks for the size of the audience (<1k or >1k) the review task needs to be routed to a specific manager for approval.

I'm brand new to Nintex so any suggestion would be greatly appreciated!

Badge +16

If there's only two outcomes - i.e. Less than 1000 and greater than 1000 then I would say use set a condition. 

The switch looks for a specific value so you would have to have it look at value and choose options like:

etc so really doesn't suit your requirement in my opinion. 

Badge

Awesome! Thanks for the blazing fast response Cassy!