How to replace 'new element' on page

Badge +3

Hello,

I have build a page containing a list build using two content types so that I can use 2 different Nintex forms, one for each content type. To be more clear lets name these type this way: one content type is "main content" the other "additional content".

Now if someone uses that list, the standard view is opend and above that list there is the link "New element". A click on this link still opens the form for a new "main content". In the ribbon at the top of the window (yes I did a click first on one list element and then the ribbon appears) is an item "new Element" and where the user can select between new "main content" or "additional content".

My question now is: How can I get these links for opening both forms which you can find below the described "new Element" on the ribbon into the page replacing the "New element" there.

11 replies

Badge +16

can you share a screenshot of the content types on your list?  is there a third/default one there?

Badge +3

Do you mean this screen?

Sorry, but we have a SharePoint with German language. You see Listname and two content types.

sorry, but we have a SharePoint environment with German language.

Badge +9

Hi Martin,

standard toolbar type of lists is 'Full Toolbar' as seen below:

201150_pastedImage_1.png

Here 'new item' is using standard content type. To create other content types ribbon menu has to be used.

By editing list web part You can either supress toolbar so ribbon menu has to be used either change toolbar to 'Show Toolbar' which give users the opportunity to choose content type:

201151_pastedImage_2.png

Kind regards

Manfred

Badge +3

Hi Manfred,

yes, I think what your second image shows is exactly that what I want to have. But, sorry, I don't now how to edit the list web part. Can you please give a hint?

Thanks for your answer.

Kind regards

Martin

Badge +9

see Edit existing Web Parts in SharePoint 2013 

Badge +8

Hi ‌,

Perhaps I do not understand you correctlt, but if you have 2 content types on a lsit, when you go to the list, there should already be 2 options when you select 'New Item' (assuming you mean this with 'new element').

Below I added a screenshot of a 2013 environment.

The form shown depends on the content type (assuming you created a different one per content type).

So, what am I missing here? Please explain silly.png

Cheers,

Rick

Badge +9

Not 'New Item' in ribbon but '+ new item' at the top of the list web part is the problem and I have shown a solution in my first answer.

Badge +8

Hi Manfred Lauer‌,

Aha. Now I understand. Ahum.

But then your proposal is only the first part of the solution. The second part is adding a content editor web part above the list view web part which shows 2 hyperlinks (or buttons which are more nice imo). One for each form. By clicking on a hyperlink, the related form is opened. This could even be in a new tab/window.

That way, the users do not have to go to the ribbon.

Agreed?

Cheers,

Rick

Badge +9

No, by changing web part tool bar as shown in screenshot 2 of my first answer there is a drop down menu to choose new item content type.

Badge +8

Let me rephrase what I meant:

Your answer is indeed a complete answer. It removes the 'New item or edit this list' functionality and by configuring the web part it adds the toolbar which has the 'New' functionality. A form is selected by clicking on 'New' and the the content type.

Though by adding a content edit web part instead of showing the toolbar, you can show 2 links/buttons to users to directly start a new form which saves a click for the users. Also the extra options 'Actions' and 'Settings' are not shown that way. Options which may be confusing for an user (ot proove to be useful).

Badge +3

Thank you Rick and Manfred for your answers.

I'm on a business trip today and will check both possibilities. At the first look the solution from Manfred seems to be the right one. But Ricks opinion I want also to test. I'll add the result as answer after completing my doing on my site,

Best regards

Martin