Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dgraves
Nintex Newbie

Query List Item ID to populate List Item control

Jump to solution

Hello there,

I'm a Nintex newbie so bear with me.

I have two forms. The first list is called Monitor Tracking - Classic and the second list is called UFF Tracking - Classic. I want to populate fields based on a lookup function that pulls column data from the first list. The user will type in a known number into a field named "Monitor Number". Typing this in, should pull the data from the first list that matches the Monitor Number. I noticed that the Classic form has a control called "List Item". Here's how I attempted to use it. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong? Or will this form control not accomplish what I'm looking to do?

1. I created a Form Variable named Monitor_Item_ID with a lookup formula that will pull the value from the list item's ID column:   lookup("Monitor Tracking - Classic", "Monitor Number", Monitor_Number, "ID")Form Variable screenshot
  2. I then added the List Item control to my form. Edited the control settings. It seems as though the List Item ID field in the control properties wants a number because I get this error if I type in the form variable name.
  3. So then I tried to use the GetStringQuery formula to pull the ID. It did not give me an error so I had high hopes that it would work. I set the Advanced settings to show an error if the list item doesn't exist to aid in troubleshooting.
  4. However, when I click Preview and type in a known good number into the Monitor Number field and tab to the next field to trigger the runtime refresh, the List Item doesn't populate.
  5. So I thought maybe it won't work in preview mode so I save and publish my form. Then click New Item and populate the Monitor Number field. Unfortunately I get the error that the list item with zero doesn't exist.

So this leads me to believe that my formula in the "List Item ID" isn't correct. Help!

UPDATE: I just had a thought and decided to validate that my "Form Variable" is working. So I used the same lookup syntax as I did in the form variable at the beginning of my post. I put it into a Calculated Field instead so I could actually see the value that it pulls. Unfortunately after I type in the Monitor Number and tab to the next field, I can see the calculated field "Loading..." but then it doesn't return any value. Ugh.

UPDATE #2: I fixed the Form Variable. I changed the formula to:  

lookup("Monitor Tracking - Classic", "ID", Monitor_Title, "ID")

and now it pulls the list item ID. But it's still not populating the List Item control based on the GetQueryString formula.

Oh and if anyone has a better way of achieving this, please let me know. I could just use several Calculated Value controls to pull the data from the other list but I thought maybe the List Item control would be easier.

Labels: (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
emha
Nintex Newbie

Re: Query List Item ID to populate List Item control

Jump to solution

unfortunately, List Item control doesn't support dynamic filtering at runtime.

it only supports specifying static list item ID value at design time (therefore that error asking to provide a numeric value) or it can take over a value from Item properties (but that's as well evaluated just when form is loaded)

I'd suggest to use List View control, which support dynamic filtering at runtime

So then I tried to use the GetStringQuery

that function takes over a token value from URL, so you should have had a token like '....&Monitor_Item_id=12345' in URL to make it working

lookup("Monitor Tracking - Classic", "ID", Monitor_Title, "ID")

this lookup doesn't make too much sense, it return the same (ID) value that you filter by (ie. have in Monitor_Title control)

0 Kudos
dgraves
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

Thank you Marian! Helpful information. And you're right, that lookup does NOT make sense. But for some reason it works. I got the idea from Tom Shirley's blog. I would never have thought to put "ID" as the lookup column. Oddly enough that was the fix. So I ended up using multiple Calculated Value fields using that lookup formula and just changed the last part of the formula to pull in the various column info for a particular list item.

Example:

lookup("Monitor Tracking - Classic", "ID", Monitor_Title, "ID")

lookup("Monitor Tracking - Classic", "ID", Monitor_Title, "Title")

lookup("Monitor Tracking - Classic", "ID", Monitor_Title, "Program")

0 Kudos
emha
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

great!

please mark correct answer if it addressed your problem.

0 Kudos