Installation farm

• 31 July 2011
  • 4 replies

Badge +5

i am using k2 blackPoint

i have 2 database Servers (clustered) and and Two SharePoint 2010 Servers (we will use one as web-front-end and the other one as Application server).

i want to install K2 over them , but i don't have a dedicated server for k2, i need to install k2 on same sharepoint servers is this applicable ?!

if true , i will install the k2 over the SP application server , do i need to install it over web from end server also ?!

NOTE: the client is planning to add two more server in future one as application server , one as web front end ), when that happened i need only to install the k2 over new application server !?

4 replies

Badge +10

Hi,

You will need to install K2 on one of the SharePoint servers.

My suggestion would be to put the K2 blackpoint Server onto the Application Server. However, you do need to run the K2 blackpoint Setup on the front-end server as well. This is so that all the K2 components are available for the front-end. The configuration on the front-end will only require the K2 for SharePoint components.

If more servers are added you need to install the K2 for SharePoint components on them. If you have the applicably license you can then install another instance of K2 blackpoint on the second Application server or simply leave the environment with one K2 Server, it is up to you. The only requirement is that there is at least one K2 blackpoint Server and that K2 for SharePoint is installed on all the SharePoint Servers.

Hope this helps!

Badge +5

thx Johan ,, 

in this case i need to configure kerberos, right !?

when the 2nd SP app server comes , can i install another K2 server ! so i can have 2 app k2 and SharePoint servers (joining new k2 server to k2 farm )

any issue can came up or i need to be aware off ?!

Thx again ,, 

Badge +5

I checked the k2 help documentation , they said if you have a network load balance you need to have a separate k2 server , is that is true ! 
if so , there is no need to install the k2 on App server , since i will have two web front end servers in future i will have NLB on the web front end.

Badge +10

Hi,

If you are using one of the newer releases of K2 blackpoint then you can use Pass-Through Authentication and avoid Kerberos.

When you have another server you can install a second K2 Server and then configure it in a load balanced cluster. I have not had experience with pass-through authentication and NLB clusters, but I seem to remember that NLB clusters can ONLY work with Kerberos. (Anyone who has experience with this, please confirm/correct me on this topic)

What the documentation mentions about a separate server if using load balancing is true to some extent. If you for instance install two app servers and load balance them then you can install the K2 server on each and then a separate server will not be required. If however you load balance SharePoint but want to keep only one K2 server then it is best to install the K2 Server on a server that is not part of a load balanced cluster. Again, this is not set in stone, but will make your configuration very difficult.

When you get to this level of complexity I would recommend that you contact the K2 consulting services to assist with the proper planning and configuration of the environment.

HTH.