cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Query BCS, what is "entity"

Jump to solution

I got a co-worker trying to make use of the "Query BCS" action. On the configuration form, we are making use of stored credentials, no problem there. The Application Name and Instance Name are pre-populated with External Content Type; again, no problem there.

The problem is the next field, Entity Name. What is this? The online help was useless, as it simply says to "Enter the entity". Nowhere, however, is "Entity" defined, nor is an example ever given. I have tried any field name I could cobble together by looking at the External Content Type definition over in SharePoint Designer. Regardless of what I've tried, the result ends up "The execution returned an unexpected error. The given key was not present in the dictionary."

So what exactly is Entity Name rererring to when configuring the Query BCS action?

Fwiw, this is NW2010.

Labels: (3)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Workflow Hero

Re: Query BCS, what is "entity"

Jump to solution

I've never used this action before but I was looking into it. I would assume it could be the name of a database object (table name, stored procedure, etc.) in your database.

0 Kudos
Workflow Hero

Jump to solution

The External Content Type is a collection of metadata that models a data "entity". It should be the name of the external content type in which you need to retrieve data from. Do you have one configured in the site collection, or in Central Admin?

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Ahh, that "Entity". People at Nintex, please add that bit of info in on your "Query BCS" action help file. So it's like BDC Model, BDC Entity. Those. I'll have to check. Fwiw, the original requester went on to a different solution in the interim.

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Hi Alan, I've sent this to our UA team to look into the online help topic.

0 Kudos