Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
SmileAndWave
Nintex Newbie

Queried Images to Display in Word Document

Jump to solution

I am on SharePoint 2016 and Nintex 2013.

Requirement: The team wants a Microsoft Word document that allows spellcheck and other formatting options that are limited or unavailable in InfoPath.

I am attempting to automate a process where each month, analysts upload graphs and other images to an asset library by company and topic and a report is generated for users to input comments. One firm can have many topics, each topic has a graphic. So the final result will be:

ABC Company

• Topic 1
    • Comments
  • Topic 2
    • Comments

Each month the images are refreshed with new uploads from a SQL script that will save over each image with the same filename.

My workflow queries the images by firm and by topic, then creates a document in a library and updates the fields accordingly. So:

Library

• Company 1
    • Topic 1 Name (single line text)
    • Topic 1 Image (image)
    • Topic 1 Comments (multi-line text)
    • Topic 2 Name
    • Topic 2 Image
    • Topic 2 Comments
  • Company 2
    • etc.

My workflow queries the image library by company and topic, creates the report in the document library, and updates the fields with the company and the URL for for each topic's image.

Question: How do I get the images to display for each new report by company?

The URL moves over, but I can't get the placeholder in the Word document to render each new image. I could create one template for each company with a static embedded URL that will automatically refresh as each image is replaced. Again, the script saves each image with the same filename each month, so this would be possible because each month the images are refreshed.

However, I would prefer that the workflow generate a new report each month with the links to each topic image updated each month. The benefits of generating a new report each month is that if the analysts add a new topic or don't include an existing topic, it can be captured in the workflow query. If it's a static report, the template would have to be manually updated.

Getting the topic image URL from the image library to the company report in the document library is done. How do I get the URL in the image column to render as an image in a document without embedding it in a Quick Part or via XML Mapping?

If not, is it possible for the workflow to update the embedded link?

Labels: (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Queried Images to Display in Word Document

Jump to solution

Are you using Nintex Generate Document action or some other word automation services for this? 

If using what comes with Nintex, it supports embedding images, and I believe you can setup tags so that the images being referenced are dynamic within your word template along with the company name and information. 

Check out this post

https://community.nintex.com/t5/Community-Blogs/New-Feature-Document-Generation-On-Premises/ba-p/806...

0 Kudos
SmileAndWave
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

Oh, this is interesting. We have Nintex 2013 version 3.3.1.0, but this feature is not available. According to this article, it should work. It sounds like I need to check into getting something in Central Admin switched on. I don't know how hard that will be, things are pretty locked down around here. I have a meeting with my stakeholder today. Maybe he has some sway.

Thank you, @eharris04 . Always good to get your input.

0 Kudos
Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Jump to solution

@SmileAndWave connect with your farm admin and see if they can enable that feature. If you don't have it licensed, please do reach out to your account manager which you can find by visiting customer.nintex.com.

Hope you can get that feature, it's so much easier. 

Cheers and I'll consider this post closed out.

0 Kudos