Change Design Time Values Between Development and Production SharePoint Sites

Badge +4

Our typical development process is to create a SharePoint Site and List on a devlopment server to test and create K2 workflows and ASP.NET forms and webparts. I recently moved a K2 Workflow from development to our production server and it seemed easy enough with the SharePoint Integration Client. I discovered some fields weren't updating between the workflow and SharePoint as I had planned so I went to SharePoint List Items step to check on them.  I saw that the Design Time Value was pointing to the dev site, and not production. To check I archived and deleted my development site and then discovered the Metadata list was blank back in K2!

15771iA854699043CF775B.jpg

I then changed the SharePoint Site URL to my production site and the Metadata re-appeared. I will now have to open each SharePoint List Items event and change the Design Time Value! There are probably close to 50 in this workflow so it will take me some time to double check them all.

1. Is this normal behavior? Is K2 designed so that when you switch lists you have to change the Design Time Values individually?

2. How is it possible to work on a development SharePoint environment to test changes, and then push it to production environment? This would seem to be hours of work each time.

4 replies

Badge +8

You need to use the K2 Environment Library.  This allows you to assign different values to a variable depending on your dpeloyment environment.

Badge +4

I thought about that, but in the SharePoint Design Time Values you cannot add a variable from the K2 Environment. I tried copying one from another field and then pasting it, but it did not paste. So far I can only type in this field

16071i8DFC8D25492AE003.jpg

Badge +4

Hi JArthur,

What version of K2 are you currently using?

Just to clarify the issue’s stated in link is it the same you are currently facing?

http://help.k2.com/kb001519

Regards

Quintin

Badge +4

We are using 4.6 (4.12060.1.0)

I don't know if it specifically is the same issue though it sounds similar to "After configuring a SharePoint Records Management Event..."  and "SharePoint Document Event Wizard" because I have no SP Records Management event  or Document event in my workflow, but rather appears universal.