cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
car17
Nintex Newbie

Problem with edit mode and calculating fields

Hey,

I have tried alot of different methods to ammend this but nothing seems to work unfortunately.

The problem being faced is that alot of my fields are calculated based upon tick boxes to return the date and a users prefered name, all of these are fine:

If(not(Workflow==""), userProfileLookup(Current User, "PreferredName"), "")

If(not(Workflow==""), formatDate(Current Date, "dd/MM/yyyy"), "")

The items are ticked "Recalculate formula on new mode" and "Recalculate formula on edit mode".

This unfortuantely leaves me in a dilemma as I would like for certain fields in the form to be calculated later on as these forms will be loaded over the course of a few weeks and by multiple different users but their names and dates keep updating as a result of the rule being "not(Workflow == "")".

Is there anyway to prevent the rule depending on "Previous Value" or only if the true false status on a check box changes?

Thanks in advance.

Labels: (1)
0 Kudos
12 Replies
Automation Master
Automation Master

Re: Problem with edit mode and calculating fields

@car17 .....can you provide more details on what exactly you're trying to achieve here?

0 Kudos
car17
Nintex Newbie

I am creating a form and currently I have two calculated fields for Date and Username. I am trying to update the name and date only when the "Completed" yes/no box is equal to true. The problem I have is when I edit the document again it will update the LAN ID and Date again with my name. I have quite alot of calculated fields that still need to be recalculated in edit mode but was hoping there was a way to prevent it recalculating through Javascript or a workflow?

UserName and Date.PNG

0 Kudos
Automation Master
Automation Master

@car17 ...In this case why don't you use 2 calculated field for each date and username?

1. First pair will calculates date and username in all 3 views
  2. For second pair do the following:
    1. Don't calculate in any views
    2. Using If statement fill the values i.e. If check box is checked then use date and username from above pair or else leave blank.
    3. The only cavaier is if someone checks and un-check the box then it might re-calculate so maybe u can use some logic to make sure it's checked once or what ever is your process
0 Kudos
car17
Nintex Newbie

@kunalpatel 

I've taken your idea and tried:

• Added two calculated values that recalculate in all 3 views

• I've then unticked recalculate on all 3 views for the following Dates and UserName value fields and used if formulas for selection of the "completed" tickbox and they won't run.
  • The if statement used for the:
  • If recalculate is turned on the formulas work but I need this to run on multiple different versions of the documents as there will be multiple users working on the document as there are 7 sections with a total of 98 questions for all levels of the process.
  • Just to cover off all points for #3 I have rules to disable the complete box once the section has been signed off by a manager.

Name Captures.JPG

0 Kudos
Automation Master
Automation Master

@car17 .....Could you please tell us:

1. How you decide for which users the field needs to be updated?
  2. Is this in a repeating section or in sepearate panels? Since we don't know the exact form design it's little confusing !!!
0 Kudos
car17
Nintex Newbie

@kunalpatel 

The form concept is for a checklist. Whenever the user has completed a tick section (the completed tick box) it will populate with their name and date for audit purposes. It is within a panel.

This checklist will be used by quite alot of different users accross different departments, happy to attach the form in a secured place for you to have a look at so you can understand.

0 Kudos
Automation Master
Automation Master

@car17 .....Your form has different sections (panels) and when each section is complete you need some kind of acknowledgement and for each section you have different acknowledgement, am I correct?

Assuming your answer is yes, then for each section you're using a check box, instead of getting current user and date in calculated field why don't you run a workflow which will trigger conditionally i.e. if the check box is checked yes and get the date and time when workflow is executed or you can use modified date and time, and get who modified the item and using build string update the field where you want to add entry for audit. Instead of overwriting in build string, I'll also include item property of that item to append. After updating the column for audit, reset the check box for other user(s).

If my above assumption is wrong then could you please tell me the complete process so that I can understand your exact requirement?

0 Kudos
car17
Nintex Newbie

@kunalpatel I will try this now.

There are 45 checkboxes in the form. Is the best practice to have a workflow with all 45 checkboxes to populate:

1. Two calculated fields
  2. A date field and a Single line of Text field

on the condition Tickbox == true? 

0 Kudos
Automation Master
Automation Master

@car17 ...only 1 user can modify and save the changes at any given time.....considering this, do you really need your users to check respective check boxes multiple time, can't you just put a panel called acknowledgement and put a statement "I <current user's name> understand these changes made and I acknowledges it......."?

0 Kudos