cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Prevent others from completing to-do task

Within our workflow we use to-do tasks users have to complete. However we see that while to-do task is assigned to one user, other users that have access to the workflow tasks list can finish them as well.

Is there a way to prevent that, given the fact that it is not possible to set the permissions within the "To-Do" task action?

Labels: (2)
3 Replies
Workflow Hero

Re: Prevent others from completing to-do task

Hi Jerzy,

Use a Nintex Form and apply the following method

Hide Edit Item button if user is not allowed to edit using

Best regards,

Christophe Raucq

0 Kudos
Accept as Solution Reply
Workflow Hero

When I understand the post correct, this assumes that there have been permissions assigned to the task, an based on the persmissions of the task you hide the edit button.

However - if you have already permissions assigned only the person hwo has edit permissions will b e able to edit the item (task). Hence the problem would be solved. By default everyone has edit-permission on the task list, and in turn on all task-items.

So what I would suggest is, to assign individual permissions to tasks, and maybe modify the permissions on the list so that only owners (or admins) have edit-permissions. Because of this, you could revert the inheritance breakup of permissions once the task has been completed.

0 Kudos
Accept as Solution Reply
Not applicable

I was thinking about going into that direction but I also wanted to explore other ways to do so.

When defining to-do task in workflow designer, it is not possible to set permissions on the task from that level. I would need to create separate workflow on the task list that would take care of the permissions on the task level when item is created.

However when I did that, I run into issue where the workflow that is supposed to set the permissions to the item, can't start immediately and waits ~5 minutes (workflow timer job) until it starts and does it's job.

0 Kudos
Accept as Solution Reply