cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Nintex Newbie

Re: Preserve metadata when converting to PDF

Jump to solution

Igor, yes & no. If the metadata column names and data types match between the two libraries - whether on the same site collection or not, then yes, you can preserve the metadata. Any columns or types that don't match won't be retained when copied.

Edit: I was mistaken. The attributes appear to only be copied when converting from Office format to Office format (.doc to .docx). Converting Office doc to PDF does not copy the attributes. Sorry for the confusion.

Hope this helps.

Highlighted
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

Can I clarify that the expected behaviour in 2010 is that the created PDF does not auto-populate with the metadata of the original? Is that correct?

If that's the case. I've a library that has require check out and versioning enabled and I need the original metadata* to inherit by the created PDF. Any tips for achieving this, what else should I add to my conversion workflow?

*mainly managed metadata columns but there's also one choice and one number type column.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

Darrel,

I corrected my posts above. The attributes appear to only be copied when converting from Office format to Office format (.doc to .docx). Converting Office doc to PDF does not copy the attributes, even in SP2013. Sorry for the confusion.

One way I would resolve this is to do the following:

• gather the attributes that aren't empty into variables
  • convert the document to PDF
  • Checkout the PDF document
  • modify the PDF document with the saved attributes
  • Checkin the PDF document

It's not an ideal solution, but what's new - it's SharePoint.

Good luck,

Gerard

Highlighted
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Thanks for selecting a correct answer! It's helpful to others in the community.

All the best!

Frank

Your community manager

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

I'm using the Update Multiple Items, but I keep getting an error saying "Error Updating Multiple items".  It's crazy, I have it working on one of my libraries (Convert to PDF > Publish > Query target list > check out file > Update Multiple items > Commit pending changes > Check in).  Both library's publishing workflow is the same, works in the one and not the other.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks 

Kim

0 Kudos