Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
igorsp
Nintex Newbie

Preserve metadata when converting to PDF

Jump to solution

Hello,

I am trying to convert Word files from one library to PDF files in another. I believe I have figured that out with one exception. Can I preserve the metadata attach to the Word file and have it transferred when the PDF file is created in another library? How do I do that?

Thanks!

Labels: (2)
14 Replies
FredrikAndresen
Nintex Newbie

Re: Preserve metadata when converting to PDF

Jump to solution

After you have created the PDF you could do an “update item” and set the fields of the
PDF file to be the same as the Word file.

aukeb
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

Hope this will be a standard functionality in future release. A lot of customers have this problem.

0 Kudos
igorsp
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

Sorry - I am a complete beginner here. How do I link the two documents in the Where field of the Update item action? Thanks!

nintex.png

FredrikAndresen
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

We are all beginners sometimes : )

You could save the URL you set as output in convert document, and use it in the where clause.

greenawayr
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

Just to add, if you publish to a library in a different site (as we've done) you'll want to use the Update Multiple Items to be able to target that new library. I'm sure if you design your libraries correctly with Site Columns, then any future release that allows you to maintain metadata (in the way Copy to SharePoint does) will be a lot easier to implement.

gman
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

FYI, just for reference, if a document is converted to PDF in the same SP2013 library, the PDF will have the same attributes as the original. It's only in cases where the original and PDF are in separate libraries that the metadata has to manually copied.

Edit: I was mistaken. The attributes appear to only be copied when converting from Office format to Office format (.doc to .docx). Converting Office doc to PDF does not copy the attributes. Sorry for the confusion.

Enjoy!

0 Kudos
aukeb
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

Gerard, That's not true. Converting a Worddocument to PDF in the same library doesn't give the PDF document the same metadata. (not in my SP2010 environment)

0 Kudos
gman
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

It is for SharePoint 2013.

0 Kudos
igorsp
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

So if I convert it in-place and then copy to another library will this preserve the metadata?  Thanks!