Connection failed when configuring reporting component

• 12 December 2009
  • 3 replies
  • 1 view

Badge +1

Hi there,

We have 2 servers, the first server has all the components except the database and reporting components. The database and reporting components are installed on the second server.

So far so good on the overall install/configuration until the reporting component configuration. When trying to test the Website settings of the reporting instance we get "Connection Failed: Ensure that this instance has been configured, initialized and started up successfully." I can browse to the reporting services URL perfectly. We're running SQL 2005.

Any ideas/queries welcome and appreciated!

Thanks,

Rick

3 replies

Badge +10

I've encountered a similar error with testing and moving past the K2 SSRS configuration wizard.  In those cases the error ended being that SSRS website was configured for Kerberos with the negotiate setting on the SSRS site.  To get around it I temporarily switch it to NTLM, do an IIS Reset and try the configuration wizard again and normally that works.

Here is a MS KB article that shows how to set the IIS security heading:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/215383

However, instead of switching it to "Negotiate,NTLM" switch it temporarily to "NTLM".  Remember to change WebSite to the Website ID which is 1 if using the default website.

cscript adsutil.vbs set w3svc/WebSite/root/NTAuthenticationProviders "NTLM"

After getting through the configuration wizard switch it back to "Negotiate,NTLM" since in a distributed environment like yours it will require Kerberos for SSRS to function correctly with K2
Badge +1

Hi timkn,

Thanks for the reply/suggestion.

I checked the ID for our Default Web Site and it was 235523747 so I ran:

cscript adsutil.vbs get w3svc/235523747/root/NTAuthenticationProviders

and it was running just "NTLM" but the configuration still gives the same error sadly. I tried changing it to "Negotiate,NTLM", running the configuration wizard (same error) then changing it back to "NTLM" (same error).

Badge +8

In your case you will need to have Kerberos working for the actual implementation since the RS is on a separate  machine. But you will also need to ensure that the Workspace App Pool account specified has Content Manager permissions. The error message I got was different, but its worth a check.