cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Permission for task assignee to view item

Jump to solution

When a workflow assigns a task to a user, the user is able to go to the Approve/Reject page for this item. In the Item Properties at the bottom of that page, the user can see a list of fields and the response given by the person who filled out the form. This list does not include all the fields and responses that are in repeating sections, though.

There is a link to the item on the Approve/Reject page, but when the task assignee clicks on that link, he gets an error saying he does not have access to the page that would show the filled-out form. My question is, what permission is required to give the task assignees the ability to see the filled-out forms? I will attach a list of the permissions I have granted to users in the Approver role - permissions do include Override List Behaviors - which should enable them to read/edit items they did not create. I do not see anyplace on the list itself where I can set a permission to allow approvers to view items.

I would appreciate your help.

Labels: (2)
0 Kudos
9 Replies
Not applicable

Re: Permission for task assignee to view item

Jump to solution

Update - I also used a Set item permission action in the workflow to give current user permission to view item. This did not help. The initiator does not have access to view the item after it is submitted, either.

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Jump to solution

So you have a Tasks list where the approvers have correct permissions, because they are able to open and edit their task.

In your task, do you refer to a specific document in a Document Library or an Item in a different list? The approver must of course also have access to that document or item.

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Jump to solution

The task refers to a specific item. The approver has a link to that item on the Approve/Reject page (see red arrow in image.) The link gives only the error message that the approver does not have access to that page. I don't know how to give the approver permission on items for which they have tasks - that is my question.

LinkToItem.png

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Jump to solution

1. You assign read permission to all authenticated users or a SharePoint group containing all approvers on the list where the item is stored.

2. In the task action in Nintex you can configure the Item permissions.

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Jump to solution

In the list, the approver group has the permissions from my attachment in original question, so they should have read and edit permission there.

In the task that assigns the approver, as in your screen shot above, I explicitly gave the approver the Approve Group Permission, which they should already have had because they are a member of that SharePoint group. The Approver group has permissions to add, view, and edit items.

The approver still does not have access to the item from the link on the approve/reject page.

0 Kudos
burkslm
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

Do they have contribute permissions?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Does it work when you assign Contribute permission instead of your custom permission level Approve Group Permission?

Can you post the url of the access denied screen?

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Jump to solution

That group had almost all of the same permissions as the Contribute permission level. I added the permission "View Versions - view past versions of a list item or document", and now the approver is able to view the form from the link on his approve/reject page.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
martins_ozers
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

Did everything as discussed here. Approver is still not able to open Item unless there is at least read permission level for the list.

Is it really working in your case - if the Approver prior to assigned task has no permissions on the list where the Context Item resides?

Thanks for input!

0 Kudos