Parallel action + Filer condition

• 5 August 2016
  • 5 replies

Badge +9

I am facing a weird issue. I have used a parallel action with 2 branches with each branch having an filter to check the validation . Even if one of my filter condition fails then execution of other branch also stops. The workflow works only in case both of the filters satisfy the condition. Same behavior happens with RunIf action.

Is this the default behavior of the parallel action? I remember that few days back similar condition worked for me

5 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

Hi,

this is the default behaviour of the filter action..if the workflow reach a filter and it fails the filter condition, the workflow will stop.

If you don't want that, you could just put all the action that are currently after the filter inside a Run If, so they will be executed only if the condition is met (removing the filter action).

Giacomo

Badge +9

I think I didn't clearly mention my issue.

Suppose my filter in branch 2 fails the filter condition then how should it affect the filter condition of  first branch? Even if my filer is not failing in branch 1 the workflow gets completed as soon as the filter condition fails in branch 2

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

Unfortunately the filter condition isn't limited to the context where is placed (one of the branch of the parallel action) but it will be applied to the whole workflow, so, if its condition is failing, the whole workflow will end.

My question now is: why do you need to put two filter condition inside branches in a parallel action? What's the behaviour expected?

Badge +9

Now I have created 2 separate workflows.

Following was my condition:

1. One Parent list is there with the a column Department Name ,Request Start Date, Request End Date
  2. I have multiple lists with Department Name ,Request Start Date, Request End Date columns
  3. Whenever a new item is getting added with the same department in any one the child lists it checks if the Request Start Date of the current item is less then Request Start Date of the Parent List with same department , Request End Date of the current item is greater then Request End Date of the Parent list with the same department
  4. If the condition match then I am updating the Parent List  Request Start Date, Request End Date.
  5. I didn't want two workflows for that hence I tried parallel condition
Userlevel 4
Badge +11

So, if I've understood well, the workflow on the child lists should do:

1. query the parent list to check if there is an item with the same Department Name
  2. if there is an item with the same Department Name you check:
    1. if Child Start Date is less then Parent Start Date, it has to update Parent Start Date
    2. if Child End Date is greater then Parent End Date, it has to update Parent End Date
    3. if both condition are verified, both columns has to be updated.

Is it correct?

If yes, I would use a different logic approach with different nested "Set a condition" so you could do just one update in each of three scenario above.

First Set a condition will check Start Date condition then, inside both branch, a second Set a condition will check End Date condition. Now you'll have 4 branches where you have to put an update item in three of them (the branch where no condition has been met you have to do nothing for what you have written), in the yes-yes branch you could use the update item to update both columns.