Can you cancel a workflow without deleting associated tasks

• 15 February 2017
  • 4 replies

Badge +2

Hi,

I have built a workflow that can be a bit of a long process and uses quite a few tasks.

As it is a long process, I built into the workflow that it can skip past certain steps if they have already been completed.  

This was so that if errors were ever encountered, the workflow could be restarted and would "catch up" to where it was up to.

This works for the most part but the trouble is all previous tasks associated with workflow are deleted.  But the existence of those tasks is important to proving that the form had progressed up to the point when it needed to be cancelled and restarted.

Is there a way to cancel a workflow, but keep all of the tasks?

Thanks

Ryan

4 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

No, if you cancel the workflow, the associated tasks will be deleted.  What you could do instead is break up your process into multiple workflows.  This post has an example. Approach to splitting a Nintex Workflow.  The main workflow would be the status of your overall process, and then for the various steps in your process, those would be workflows started from the main one.  That way if you have to cancel one of the steps, you won't lose the status being tracked in the main workflow.  You may also want to incorporate a state machine if you haven't already.  

Badge +2

Thanks Brendan,

Seems like alot of work but that is an approach I may have to take.

My only concern is that if my organisation switches to Nintex 365, I believe the pricing structure is per workflow.  So we may end up with significant additional cost in designing our workflows this way?  Is this the case?

Thanks,

Ryan

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

I don't know how the pricing structure works for Nintex for Office 365.  You may want to post that question here .

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

But the pricing model per workflows is imho even better as it covers all available environments: this amount you purchase (ok, per year happy.png) allows you to create workflows on premises, in O365 and on nintex workflow cloud also!

To get a quote please ask your local partner.

Also keep in mind that if you are thinking of switching into O365 env. you should consider all pros and cons before. As you probably know tenat has a lot of limitations, especially in efficiency and customization, also Nintex for O365 is suffering lack of functions, actions etc you know from on premise.

Back to the licensing - my representative in Nintex claims, that only workflows bigger than 5 actions and/ or calling other workflows are counted "as workflow" (so consumes the license). Another thing is in O365 you sometimes really have to break your workflow because of the post file limits (you cannot change thresholds as you would do in on premise), so your workflow cannot be bigger than 5MB (circa 100 actions).

Regards,

Tomasz