cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Open another content type when editing item

Hello Friends,

I have a list that has 2 content types. Using Customize with Nintex forms option, I converted the default list forms to Nintex forms. With th help of SharePoint designer I changed the default EditForm to the Nintex form.

My requirement is, when I create a new item, I get to see the Nintex Form. However, when I click on Edit Item, I'm unable to see the desired Nintex Form. Instead, it is displaying it in the default List Form format. Am I missing something here?

It would be appreciated if you could help me figure out a means to acheive the requirement.

Thank you in advance!

Regards,

Chandra Shekar

Labels: (3)
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Not applicable

Re: Open another content type when editing item

Any suggestions Nintex community?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
kapilkjoshi
Nintex Newbie

Hi,

What is the purpose for 2 content types? Your question doesn't explain the title of the issue.

Do you want to open a separate content type when creating new item and editing the item? You will get option to modify the forms for each content type in the list. They will be separate.

Instead you can use the panels to separate the fields you want to show on the New and Edit forms. Use rules to hide these panels in case you are creating a new item or editing and existing item. Hope that helps.

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Hello Kapil,

Thank you for the reply. Believe me, I tried convincing my stakeholders that they can do the same with panels. So I have to go by their requirement.

When a new item is created, it should open contenttype 1 and when they edit the item it should open contenttype2

Is it possible? When editing the item, it's loading the default contenttype2 not the Nintex customized content type

Any suggestions?

kapilkjoshi
Nintex Newbie

In my testing, I haven't found a way to do this with Nintex forms and SP Designer. This was possible with InfoPath because every time you added a new content type to the list and edited the form in InfoPath, a new set of Display, Edit and New forms were created.

But with Nintex, the different sets of forms do not show up in SP Designer.

What you can try is, edit the Form web part from the list. Click on Default New form and change the Nintex list forms web part to show the 1st content type. Then select Default Edit form and change the form to 2nd content type. I haven't had success with this in the past but haven't tried it recently.

Hopefully someone else in the community can shed more light on it.

kapilkjoshi
Nintex Newbie

Have you resolved this issue? Please post your resolution here to help others on the community.

jamesmilne
Nintex Newbie

You have 2 options here. 

1. Nintex Forms has a Content Type Control which allows the user to switch content types while viewing the form.

2. THe content type can be changed from Nintex Workflow. So, for example, after an approval task you can change the content type on the current item to be another content type with more fields on it.

Hope this helps.

0 Kudos