K2 Tasklist webpart + Sharepoint Tasks

• 7 April 2011
  • 2 replies

Badge +3

We have a Sharepoint Environment with Blackpearl Installed.. We have workflows running from both K2 aswell as Sharepoint. 

The user has to go to two different places {for sharepoint workflows - Tasks List and for K2- Task List Webpart) . We are planning to have a single webpart which would collate both K2 tasks as well as Sharepoint Tasks from the Tasks list.

I am not pretty sure of the complexity for the webpart as the underlying datasource for both are different  and the columns in the webpart are also.. and they way the requests are routed when a user clicks a row item.

Does anybody had this requrement earlier and have thoughts on the same?

Please share your thoughts....

2 replies

Badge +10

My thoughts are that I would expect that it would be quicker and in the end your company would be much better off recreating the SharePoint workflows in K2.  Normally those SharePoint workflows are not very complex and can typically be recreated very quickly in K2.  Then you have all the benefits of a shared worklist, administration, reporting and all the other good things that your company bought blackpearl for.

Otherwise, you will need to do a development and an ongoing code maintenance effort to recreate a worklist webpart.  Any custom worklist web part will need to be retested and maintained as different K2 updates come out, might have difficult to troubleshoot performance issues, etc.

If you still decide to go a custom worklist web part route then to get you started K2 has posted the snapshot of the worklist code for bp 1230 (the latest update 1290 isn't posted at this point).  http://www.k2underground.com/groups/k2_worklist_web_part/default.aspx

I hope this helps

Tim

Badge +3

thanks Timkn..i would prefer the first approach for the longer term.

thanks for your insights..