cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Workflow Hero

Notify or lock task with multiple asignees

Dear community,

I built a workflow where the requirement is that all tasks have a group of users assigned. And so it happens that a task is often accessed simultaneously by 2 people. They get no notification that the task is open so they start working on the large task form and the slower of both will get a message in the end (while trying to submit) that the task has already been completed.

Is there a solution, a trick or a workaround to this situation because I can see how frustrating this can be? I'd appreciate to hear your approach.

Thank you.

Dimiter

Labels: (2)
0 Kudos
17 Replies
Workflow Hero

Re: Notify or lock task with multiple asignees

Hi

Have you ticked the box to create separate tasks?  That way they wouldn't be working on the same task?

0 Kudos
Accept as Solution Reply
Workflow Hero

Hi Cassy,

I have but that had no effect because that way the workflow created as many tasks as there are assignees and those are treated as separate items. So I returned to creating a single task for all, assuming this will work but as long as the task is Pending and you have the permissions to edit it, SharePoint will allow you to, with no notification that it might be currently open by somebody else from your group.

0 Kudos
Accept as Solution Reply
Workflow Hero

why don't you want them as separate items?  you can still have first response applies behaviour?

Accept as Solution Reply
Workflow Hero

It does indeed. But the task form is quite large and it takes time to fill in. So if 2 people open it at (relatively) the same time, by the time you fill in everything, someone else might have done it a little quicker than you and you end up with your time wasted, because this response is no longer required (the WF has moved on).

And with an Invoice Processing workflow with tens of instances per day, AP doesn't seem to feel any boost of productivity

Accept as Solution Reply
Workflow Hero

yeah I totally see your point.  either way it's not good.  I don't believe there is a way around this unfortunately... 

0 Kudos
Accept as Solution Reply
Workflow Hero

This may just involve some communication among the team that is being assigned. Are the people in the same office or in different locations?

Accept as Solution Reply
Workflow Hero

‌ that is crazy talk expecting people to communicate with each other!

Accept as Solution Reply
Workflow Hero

Roger, I believe they are at adjacent desks  And if this turns out the SharePoint limitation it looks like, users may actually have to embrace verbal communication (God forbid)

Accept as Solution Reply
Workflow Hero

Also what how many people are we talking about?

0 Kudos
Accept as Solution Reply