Notification emails

Jump to solution

Hi,

I don’t have very much experience with Nintex, the expert
left our company but trying to work things out slowly, can anyone suggest what
I could do with the following scenario,

We have aging application that stores calibration data,
equipment that requires calibration by a certain date, which will send out
notifications but I wanted to add this into SharePoint instead.

All I want to achieve is simply something that would fire
out a notifications say 60 days before then 30 days before the due date of
calibration, once the equipment has been calibrated all they would then do is change
the date, and the same thing would happen again when the date hits 60 days etc
before.

I assume some kind of loop would be used but just really
unsure how this is setup.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Labels: (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Workflow Hero

Re: Notification emails

Jump to solution

Hi Michael,

i recommend using a site workflow for this requirement. You can schedule a site workflow to run once a day and check for all your equipment.

Inside the workflow you do the following:

1. Use "Calculate Date" actions to calculate the first (today + 30 days) and the second (today + 60 days) due date
  2. Use a first "Query List" action to get all relevant items of your calibration list. Use a filter to receive only items where the due date is your first calculated date and save the result in a collection variable.
  3. use a "For each" loop to loop through the collection you received in step 2 and send an email for each collection item to the responsible person.
  4. Repeat step 2+3 for your second due date from step 1

Let us know if you need any further assistance.

Regards

Philipp

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Thanks Philipp,

Could you break down each point into more detail? I'm not fully sure what options I would be selecting, ill keep it simple for now and just go with 30 days. I guess I'm asking for a simple tutorial on how this is setup and then I could play about which would probably help my understanding more.

I think I need a nintex for dummies guide

0 Kudos
Workflow Hero

Jump to solution

No problem, here you have some screenshots to make the configuration clearer:

1. To create or schedule a site workflow you need to open the site menu

After clicking "Create Site Workflow" the workflow designer will open.

2. Create variables. You will at least need variables for:

1. The current due date to check (lets call it "currentDueDate", type is "Date and Time", default date can stay blank).

2. A variable to store all item info received by your "Query List" action (lets call it "queriedItemCollection", type is "Collection").

3. A variable to store one iteminfo of your collection for usage in the for each loop (lets call it "queriedItem", type is "Single line of      text", no default value)

You can create variables in every actions configuration page or via the "Workflow settings" you'll find in the ribbon of the designer      window. Let "Show on start form" unchecked for every variable.

3. Calculate Date:

This will take the current date when the workflow is running, add 30 days to it and save this date to our variable to be used later.

4. Query List

First you chose the list you want to query. Afterwards you implement the filter. Be aware that i filter for the "TimeStamp" column here, of course your due date column will have a different name but the logic remains the same. In the bottom of the image you see that we save all IDs of all items that match our query in our new collection variable. You could receive additional/other columns here, but ID is enough for the moment.

5. For each loop

Rather simple. We loop for each item of our collection and store the currently processed collection item in our "queriedItem" variable. This means that "queriedItem" will always hold the ID of the item of the collection, that is currently being processed.

6. Send notification inside the for each loop.

Inside the for each loop you place a "send notification" action, to inform the user about the upcoming calibration. This will send a mail for every item inside your collection. If you do not want to send the ID of the item but rather a direct link, you could configure the "query list" action to get back the "server relative url" for example.

Afterwards you just need to publish the workflow and schedule it via the site menu. If you want to test your site workflow first (which is probably not the worst idea ) you can start it via "site contents" -> "site workflows". Make sure you have the "Start manually" option checked in the "Workflow settings" of you workflow designer, otherwise you won't be able to start this workflow manually.

I hope this gets you starting. If you have further question, please feel free to ask.

And make sure to have a look Nintex learning and Nintex XChange as it provides a lot of useful resources especially for beginners.

Regards

Philipp

Not applicable

Jump to solution

Thank you for this. (Should have mentioned I'm using sharepoint 2010 (Nintex Workflow 2013)

I'm trying to set a schedule for the work flow, but says "There are no workflows available to schedule" I created / published the nintex workflow from within the list location.

0 Kudos
Workflow Hero

Jump to solution

Sounds like you've created a list workflow. You cannot schedule a list workflow.

This is why i recommended to create a site workflow, which can be scheduled to run e.g. once a day. Have a look at the first of my pictures.

But you don't need to redo everything. You can export your workflow via the ribbon in the designer and import it when creating a site workflow.

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Thank you for your help Philipp, this is working.

I may have other questions as it appears I may have to add more features to this.

Workflow Hero

Jump to solution

You are very welcome =)

Feel free to ask further questions if you need help while implementing additional features.

Regards

Philipp