cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Workflow Hero

Notification E-mail When Document Updated

Jump to solution

I have a document library in SharePoint 2013, within the library are several documents and folders.  How do I create a workflow to send a notification when only one document has been updated? 

I have an Excel document which is updated monthly, when updated I would like to send an e-mail notification with a link the Excel document.  When I try to create a workflow it is creating it on the library instead of just the one Excel document.  I know I am missing something!

Thank you,

Suzanne

7 Replies
Workflow Hero

Re: Notification E-mail When Document Updated

Jump to solution

Hi Suzanne,

if the item is always the same and it's just update (not deleted and uploaded back), you could set up your workflow on the library to start on modification and, as first action, you can use a Filter Action to check that ID of current item is equal to ID of your Excel Document.

Unfortunately there isn't the possibility to define a workflow for a single document, so you have to create it for the library and, if you want an automatic start, you have to check inside the workflow if the document is the right one.

Hope this help

Giacomo

Workflow Hero

Jump to solution

You could make that spreadsheet it's own content type and then create a Site Collection Reusable Workflow against that content type and add that workflow to your library. That way the workflow will only run against that Content Type.

Workflow Hero

Jump to solution

Or slightly more simplistically, just create an alert against that spreadsheet in SharePoint. Alerts will send you the notification email you need and a link to the spredsheet that you require. You just have to accept the pre-baked email that SharePoint gives you!

Workflow Hero

Jump to solution

Using SharePoint alert, doesn't it just alert me?  I need to alert others of the updates.

Thanks,

Suzanne

Workflow Hero

Jump to solution

If you have enough privileges, you can set up alerts also for other users.

Workflow Hero

Jump to solution

Yes, there is a Manage Alerts permission.

Workflow Hero

Jump to solution

This would be my approach. Sometimes simple is better. No need to overthink it, but you will need some privilege to set it up for others if required.