cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Nintex workflow is updating the append only column.

Jump to solution

I have an append-only comments column on a form. A workflow kicks in when anything is modified on the form. This workflow appends the latest comment again to the chain of comments.

This is what the comments section looks like.

Capture.PNG

Has anyone had to deal with this before?

Thanks,

Shamika

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Automation Master
Automation Master

Re: Nintex workflow is updating the append only column.

Jump to solution

I apologize for my confusion, but it sounds like the workflow is doing what is expected by appending again what the form will already do on its own.

What is the intention of the workflow other than updating comments? If you remove the part in the workflow that updates the comments the form should automatically do the append.

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Jump to solution

The workflow is does not have the part that updates the comments but still  the comments are getting appended when the workflow runs.

Anyway, I have a work around now. Instead of append column I added a regular column and created a workflow that updates the comments.

0 Kudos
Automation Master
Automation Master

Jump to solution

Good to know. Can I ask what the workflow needs to do with the comments? Is it appending data that only the workflow is able to create?

0 Kudos
robyndennis
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

Hi all. Not sure if this is still an issue with recent versions of Nintex forms (we haven't upgraded for a while), but I solved this by making sure whenever my workflow updates an item, I also get it to update the appending comments field with blank data. Somehow it doesn't actually update the comments at all no matter how many times the other fields are updated.

So after many item updates, my comments still look like they should.

Hope this helps.

CommentsSnapshot3.PNG

CommentsSnapshot2.PNG

CommentsSnapshot.PNG

0 Kudos
mgreene
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

The cause of this is the type of multi-line of text field you are using. When using rich or enhanced text, this issue will occur. I believe it has something to do with an empty html element being created for the empty field, making it ready for you to insert text (so in fact it really is not empty), and Nintex then believes an update has occurred. If you change the field to plaintext then the issue will go away.

A quick warning though, changing field type like this will result in all previous data being lost, so this will not work if you are looking to keep the existing content stored in these fields as rich / enhanced text.