K2 Worklists for teams

Badge +2

Hi,

I am trying to build a web application where tasks are first created in a team queue that all the users in the team have access to.  Then any team member can go to the team queue and open a task and assign it to themselves.  This should take the task out of the team queue and into their personal queue so only they can work on it.

Does the K2 workspace worklists provide this kind of functionality?

Regards,
Aarthi

3 replies

Badge +10

Yes, your requirements sounds like it matches the default behaviour of K2.  In your workflow you would typically assign your activities destination users to a K2 Role, or AD Group .  The default behaviour creates 1 slot for that activity which means it can be assigned to multiple people but only 1 person can perform the task.

How it works is when a user checks their K2 worklist it'll show any K2 tasks (worklist items)  assigned to roles or groups that they are part and assigned directly to them.  The task's status in the K2 worklist shows as being Available.  If the user clicks on one of the tasks assigned to a role or group it'll open up the associated form and occupy the 1 slot for that activity.  This basically means they now own that task and that specific tasks now disappears from the other group members K2 worklist.  The task's status in the k2 worklist will change from available to open.

As I mentioned this is the default behaviour and can be changed to suit different scenarios.  It might also be helpful to review the following whitepaper which goes into more details about the different destination rule options and what they mean:  http://help.k2.com/en/AdvancedDestinations_Whitepaper.aspx 

Badge +2

Hi,

Thanks for your reply!  The question I have now is can the team queue task show differently to tasks specifically assigned to the user?  I want to make a clear differentiation between team tasks and personal tasks.  So for instance, is it possible to have a worklist for the team, separate from the worklists for the team members.

Regards,

Aarthi

Badge +10

I may not understand exactly what you're asking. 

However, the k2 worklist does allow filtering and grouping which might provide the differentiation that you are asking about.  In SharePoint you can also add multiple K2 Worklist webparts to the same page and set up filters and grouping on different process names and/or different columns the worklist provides like Activity.

The process designer could also use the process folio field or the activity names themselves which show up on the K2 worklist to provide a clear indication which are team tasks vs personal tasks.  Then the filtering/grouping/sorting provided with the K2 worklist can help the user prioritize.

Tim