How to edit the Document Panel for custom content type

• 3 November 2015
  • 8 replies

Badge +5

Our users have expressed a need for a cascading lookup within the Document Panel on custom document type.

1. I've created a custom document type that extends the Document content type.

2. I've created a form using Nintex

3. Within the form, I'm using a cascading lookup that is filtered by the control. (this works fine on the preview)

138001_pastedImage_0.png

4. I've also created the list and added the custom content type to it.

Now my question is where is the form published so I can replace the doc panel form in the Doc Information panel settings?

138119_pastedImage_1.png

Thank you,

Jan

8 replies

Badge +5

This is really interesting Jan!

I've done a lot of stuff with documents. Not sure if this helps. But when I was doing something similar to this I was using InfoPath to create a custom DIP (Document Information Panel) the form would show up on top of the document.

Melissa

Badge +5

Thank you Melissa,

Yeah I've been able to do it via InfoPath (because when you save/publish in InfoPath it updates the DIP custom form url)

My problem is that I'm not at all proficient with InfoPath, so ideally, I'd like to use Nintex. Especially since it seems that it's an intended function given the link to edit the form happy.png

I think I'm just missing 1 step, which is to figure out where the custom form is saved to and update the Doc Info Panel form url.

Badge +5

Hi Jan,

Try this not sure if it will work but give it a try.

In Step 4 - Choose the middle option Using custom template

Edit the template by clicking on "Edit this Template" - I would personally do something simple and save it. But when save it don't use the quick save.  Go to File -->Publish --> Click on Workflow. I found that this works better then Quick Publish

Melissa

Badge +5

Melissa, thank  you for the suggestion. I believe you're suggesting to do the edit via InfoPath. While I may have to go down that road if I don't find a Nintex solution, I would like to avoid InfoPath as I've never really used it. (We have Nintex for our form needs happy.png )

Like I said, I have it all (I believe) just don't know when the Nintex publish process publishes the form so I can entered it into the Doc Info Panel url.

Badge +5

Ok well I've found the NFForm.xml that gets created under the Content Type -

Forms folder (http://[application]/[site]/[library]/Forms/[contentType]/NFForm.xml)

However when I try to use that, I get an error while creating a new document:

Document Information Panel cannot open a new form.

The form template is not valid. If you are working with a document library on a SharePoint site, you can modify the library's document template, or you can publish a new form template to use instead.

The processing instruction in the file is missing or invalid.

Badge +5

I'll update this as I've have had a response from Nintex. Currently, Nintex does not provide this functionality so the only option is to use InfoPath to modify the Document Information Panel.

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

Hi Just stumbled across this old thread.

I'd agree that it would be really nice to have Nintex Forms for the Document Information Panel, however, you are reaching outside of the realms of SharePoint and into Office, so it's a completely different platform.

You can achieve what you want using Infopath, 

Browser Based InfoPath 2010 – Creating Cascading Dropdown Fields with no Code | NothingButSharePoint.com 

If this or any of the other responses answers your question please mark the thread as answered for other members please.

Badge +5

Thank you Ryan. I should have updated the thread. I investigated further and spoke in some detail to Nintex support. It turns out that this feature is not supported by Nintex. The only way to do it is the way you suggest - via InfoPath.

However, given that in Office 2016, the Document Info Panel has essentially gone away (as Microsoft baked it into the Document Properties) it's less relevant.

We (as well as a large disgruntled community) are still hoping that Microsoft will bring the DIP back but until then, we're looking at other solutions.

Regards,