Scheduling Workflows

Badge +2

I am wondering why my task that's assigned a workflow schedule gets duplicated and a new item will appear with the name "You have a new task" under the same list. The workflow should only be sending reminders to the assignee, not creating a duplicate of the task everytime the workflow runs. Does anyone know how I can fix that? 

216848_pastedImage_1.png

216849_pastedImage_2.png as you can see, the "You have a new task!" is just a duplicate of the task above it. 

Thanks!

6 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi Lisa,

could you provide a screenshot of your workflow design? Reminders can easily be sent with a flexi task action.

If your workflow schedule kicks off a new instance workflow a new task will be created in every instance. So maybe thats a good point for starting to fix this.

Best regards

Enrico

Badge +2

Hi Enrico,

Thank you for your response. Here's a screenshot of the workflow. My goal is to simply send a reminder email every "x" number of days reminding them to update their task status (that's if their status is anything else other than completed). Once the status is changed to completed, they'll receive a notification that their task is completed. Does that make sense? 

I just shared with you a question I had that I'm still trying to figure out. This portion is part of that same process I'm still trying to achieve. Thanks so much!

216865_pastedImage_2.png

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hmmm,

I still wonder where the original task is created. Also I wonder why the duplicated task has a different title than the original task. If it's a duplicate I'd expect both tasks to have the same title.

Do you have two origins for tasks in your process that might generate a task that's not needed?

Could you show where the task is created and when the workflow is triggered?

The workflow portion you showed in the screenshot should't kick off any workflows nor should they create workflow tasks. So I'm still wondering where the second task should come from.

Best regards

Enrico

Badge +2

Hi Enrico, 

Do you have two origins for tasks in your process that might generate a task that's not needed?

Here's a screenshot of the workflow that's tied to all task created within that task list. Everytime a new task is created, this workflow runs automatically. Ideally, the right side where it says "Task Reminder" is supposed to automatically send a task reminder every 3 days or so until the task status is changed to completed.

216924_pastedImage_2.png

Could you show where the task is created and when the workflow is triggered?

However, since I never really received a response on how to achieve that I found another way to create a scheduled reminder by creating this workflow (A) and using the Workflow Schedule (B) feature below. 

A.

216925_pastedImage_4.png

B. 

216926_pastedImage_5.png

This may not be the way to set things up, but so far it has been sending reminders every 3 busniess days. The only errors I'm running into now is every reminder sent creates a "You have a new task" in the task list and when the status changes to complete, the reminders are still getting sent. 

Thanks!

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi Lisa,

sorry for the delay but I was at vacation and really busy the weeks before.

Instead of having all the reminder management in your workflow you could use a "flexi task" action instead of a "request approval" action. The flexi task comes with built-in features for reminders and escalation so after the task is completed you don't have to worry about any further reminders.

Best regards

Enrico

Badge +2

Thanks Enrico, I'm going to test it out and will keep you posted.