I am creating todo tasks in a workflow. I have two issues in this regard:
1) When I look at the resulting tasks I do not have an easy option to "Mark task as complete" like I do on "standard" Sharepoint tasks, where there is a checkbox directly in the list view, that I can just check, and the the task's completeness is automatically set to 100%. Instead the user needs to edit the task item, and put "100" in the progress field. Not so user friendly I think.
2) When I look at the item list (the original item, on which the workflow is running, and to which the generated todo task is related), I want to provide the user with an easy way to open the related task and mark it as complete.
Please provide any views and input related to these two issues - and other issues related to the whole "todo task" concept :-)
For the second point, you could use your worklfow to set a field on original form containing generated task URL :
- Workflow create a task
- you keep the ID of the task
- with this ID you get the task url
(-maybe you can edit this URL to point the Edit form instead of Display form)
- Update current item to set a field with this URL
Then when opening item display form, you will see the corresponding task URL.
Thanks for your input.
I did consider storing the task ID and writing it to the item. But in the setup of the Todo Action, I can only select to write the task ID to a variable - not a field on the item. As a consequence of this, I have put in a "Set field value" where I write the value of this variable to a field on the item.
Problem: The "Set field value" action will only be executed AFTER the Todo task has been completed - and so the user cannot benefit from it.
To have this model work, I would need to be able to write the task ID directly to the item, when the Task is created.
Am I missing something here?
I am a big fan of lay approval and have implemented that big time - especially in cases where it is managers that have to approve something. In my experience they are most comfortable staying in their mail client ;-)
For other purposes where administrative staff have to deal with larger numbers of tasks in one overview, I have created a page that lists the relevant task items. Each task shows the related item, and has links for jumping directly to the workflow task itself, and to the current item. But the best and most popular part is a button that lets the user mark the task as "Complete" and removes it from the view straight away:
This is a neat concept of having all that tied together in a single page and provide a complete button. I assume this is all JQuery based. Again, I love your customizations. Please consider adding items like this to the Xchange.