How to migrate from 2013 to 2016

• 14 February 2018
  • 5 replies

Badge +2

NOTE: this is my first Nintex Migration to a new farm

Have a SP2013 production farm with Nintex 2013 forms and workflows, and I have setup a SP2016 test farm where i have installed Nintex 2016 forms and workflows. I have also restored a DB with several Nintex forms and workflows, from backup to the 2016 test farm to test prior to migration to production.

However, I get errors on the forms as below:

1. Form Designer: The expression prefix 'NFResources' was not recognized.  Please correct the prefix or register the prefix in the <expressionBuilders> section of configuration.

2. New Form: Is blank

3. Form Web Part: Web Part Error: A Web Part or Web Form Control on this Page cannot be displayed or imported. The type Nintex.Forms.SharePoint.WebParts.NFListFormWebpart.NFListFormWebpart, Nintex.Forms.SharePoint, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=c52d764dcf7ec883 could not be found or it is not registered as safe. Correlation ID: c8714a9e-3a3e-108b-45a5-0a6b149316c0.

Please assist...

Patrick Abel would you happen to know, or have a best practice for SP 2016?

5 replies

Badge +2

Do I need to migrate the Nintex DBs as well?

I feel like a serious noob asking that, but there it is wink.png

Badge +2

I have reset IIS, nothing, then rebooted all the servers and designer is coming up now.

But i get the following error on even a new list form.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Form Designer Error

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">

<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">

<head>

<title>Request Error</title>

<style>BODY { color: #000000; background-color: white; font-family: Verdana; margin-left: 0px; margin-top: 0px; } #content { margin-left: 30px; font-size: .70em; padding-bottom: 2em; } A:link { color: #336699; font-weight: bold; text-decoration: underline; } A:visited { color: #6699cc; font-weight: bold; text-decoration: underline; } A:active { color: #336699; font-weight: bold; text-decoration: underline; } .heading1 { background-color: #003366; border-bottom: #336699 6px solid; color: #ffffff; font-family: Tahoma; font-size: 26px; font-weight: normal;margin: 0em 0em 10px -20px; padding-bottom: 8px; padding-left: 30px;padding-top: 16px;} pre { font-size:small; background-color: #e5e5cc; padding: 5px; font-family: Courier New; margin-top: 0px; border: 1px #f0f0e0 solid; white-space: pre-wrap; white-space: -pre-wrap; word-wrap: break-word; } table { border-collapse: collapse; border-spacing: 0px; font-family: Verdana;} table th { border-right: 2px white solid; border-bottom: 2px white solid; font-weight: bold; background-color: #cecf9c;} table td { border-right: 2px white solid; border-bottom: 2px white solid; background-color: #e5e5cc;}</style>

</head>

<body>

<div id="content">

<p class="heading1">Request Error</p>

<p>The server encountered an error processing the request. The exception message is 'Failed to open a connection to the Nintex Workflow configuration database.'. See server logs for more details. The exception stack trace is: </p>

<p>   at Nintex.Workflow.Administration.ConfigurationDatabase.OpenConfigDataBase()

at Nintex.Workflow.Administration.Database.ExecuteReader(SqlCommand command, CommandBehavior behavior)

at Nintex.Workflow.Common.StringFunctionInfoCollection.LoadFunctions()

at Nintex.Workflow.Common.StringFunctionInfoCollection..ctor(Boolean loadAll)

at Nintex.Workflow.Common.StringFunctionInfoCollection.get_Instance()

at Nintex.Workflow.Common.StringFunctionInfoCollection.GetInlineFunctions(Int32 lcid)

at Nintex.Forms.SharePoint.NintexWorkflowMethods.RetrieveWorkflowStringFunctions(Int32 lcid, List`1 currentFunctions)

at Nintex.Forms.SharePoint.Administration.FormsSettings.get_StringFunctions()

at Nintex.Forms.Factory.get_StringFunctions()

at Nintex.Forms.NfUtilities.RegexCustomFunctionAlias()

at Nintex.Forms.StringFunctionParser.GetMatchPattern()

at Nintex.Forms.NfUtilities.GetInlineFunctionObjects(String parameterText, Type functionType)

at Nintex.Forms.StringFunctionParser.ValidateInlineFunctions(String stringToValidate, List`1&amp; validationMessages)

at Nintex.Forms.NfUtilities.ValidateForInsertReference(IInsertableReferenceObject objectToValidate, List`1&amp; validationMessages)

at Nintex.Forms.FormControls.FormControlProperties.Validate()

at Nintex.Forms.FormControlCanvasSettings.GetFormControlCanvasSettings(FormControlProperties formControlProperties, FormVariable variable, Boolean isResponsive, CalendarType calendarType)

at System.Linq.Enumerable.WhereSelectEnumerableIterator`2.MoveNext()

at System.Collections.Generic.List`1..ctor(IEnumerable`1 collection)

at System.Linq.Enumerable.ToList[TSource](IEnumerable`1 source)

at Nintex.Forms.FormsHelper.GetFormLayoutData(Form form, FormLayout formLayout)

at Nintex.Forms.FormsHelper.GetTemplateFormLayoutData(Device device)

at Nintex.Forms.Form.ProcessTemplate(Device device)

at Nintex.Forms.FormsHelper.GetNewForm()

at Nintex.Forms.SharePoint.DefaultForms.GetNewForm(SPWeb web, IList`1 fieldListCollection, FormActivityType type, ICollection`1 formControlsInUse)

at Nintex.Forms.SharePoint.Services.NfWcfService.GetNewForm(IList`1 fieldListCollection, String activityType)

at SyncInvokeGetNewForm(Object , Object[] , Object[] )

at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.SyncMethodInvoker.Invoke(Object instance, Object[] inputs, Object[]&amp; outputs)

at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.DispatchOperationRuntime.InvokeBegin(MessageRpc&amp; rpc)

at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.ImmutableDispatchRuntime.ProcessMessage5(MessageRpc&amp; rpc)

at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.ImmutableDispatchRuntime.ProcessMessage11(MessageRpc&amp; rpc)

at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.MessageRpc.Process(Boolean isOperationContextSet)</p>

</div>

</body>

</html>

Badge +8

Has the web application feature for Nintex Forms been activated on the site where you're working? I've seen the first error you mentioned before and this was the culprit. 

Badge +2

Yes that was a good call. The first error I believe was caused by that. After I activated the feature I was able to access the forms designer, and that is where the error in the screenshot came in.

This is a fresh install of SP2016 with Jan CU, and Nintex 2016 appears to have installed well. I did receive RPC errors from the 2 application servers when I ran the install on a WFE, but then I ran the install on the CA app server. (also had RPC errors, but only on the 2 WFEs. after that things appeared to be good. I was able to add Nintex DBs, and configure the services.

However, they aren't functioning properly on the client side. Do the RPC errors matter? Is that required for Nintex to function?

Badge +7

Did you ever get your RPC Error figured out. I have done two installs of 2016 and both gave this error. I did my installes on the WFEs because I thought that is were you were suppose to do them? I would be ceriuos on what you did to get the RPC stuff going because I have not been able to slove it yet.