Create Issue from Item in Task list

• 18 March 2016
  • 2 replies

Badge +3

Greetings,

Not sure if workflow is the best approach for what I am trying to accomplish but I'll start here.

I have a list of project tasks from which I would like to track any associated issues using the Issue Tracking app. Ideally, an issue could be created off of the edit form of the Tasks list or, any existing issues could be viewed off of the existing Task, either from the form or as a link in list view.

The approach I was thinking of was using workflow to store the Task item ID as a workflow variable, then create an item in the Issue Tracking list and populating a field with the Task list item ID to connect the two web parts. The workflow would create a new Issue when the user selects New Issue from a Choice list. If the user selects View Issues in the same choice list, the workflow takes them to the Issue Tracker and returns any associated issues by filtering the Issue Tracker on the ItemID.

Hope this makes sense. Thanks in advance.

2 replies

Badge +4

James,

While a workflow could certainly work, I am not sure if you really need that. I work with Projects a LOT, and this is what I think:

1) You could use the "related Items" option in SharePoint 2013, to do the linkage between tasks and Issues. (Ex: New SharePoint 2013 Column in town – Related Items | Sharegate))

2) Your Issue details will definitely be different from the task details. So,  asking the users to manually create the issue may not be too much

3) And finally, you could provide some easy navigation between the Tasks List and the Issue Tracking List.

if you do have to do a workflow, for your business reasons, I think your approach sounds fine.

Badge +3

Thank you, Prasanna. Using Related Items accomplishes exactly what I was looking for.

Regards, Jay.