editing message instances

• 7 February 2008
  • 4 replies

Badge +4
Does anyone know of a way to take a message instance within the K2 management console and edit the contents? Can that be done?

4 replies

Badge +9
I'm not sure what you mean by taking a message instance in K2 mgmt console.  Could describe in more detailed what you are trying to accomplish.
Badge +4

If a message runs into an error condition it appears, from what I can tell, that it cannot be resumed or anything else - all that I can seemingly do with this instance is delete it from the K2 runtime. What I'm wondering is, if there's something screwy in the content of the message itself, is there a way to go in and edit the contents of that original message itself?

I get the feeling that the message body is 'sealed off' so to speak once K2 gets a hold of it, so I'm trying to understand better how I can go in and fix things (as an administrator, of course) if messages go in that need fixing...

Thanks

Badge +9

There is not really a concept of 'messages' in K2.  In the simplest sense there is Data (process data/xml fields or SmartObject) and process definitions.

If an instance goes into 'Error' state, an Admin can go to the Error profiles section in K2 Workspace to view the error.  While here the Admin can also 'Retry' the instance incase the error was caused by an external dependency that was down.  When the Retry button is pressed K2 will simply attempt to reexecute the step that previously failed.

Additionally, if the Error is caused by something incorrectly laid out in the process definition, one can attempt to fix the definition in Visual Studio.  There is a blog here (http://srikantha.wordpress.com/2007/08/25/fixing-running-workflow-instance-errors/) that talks about how to do this.  Note, this blog was written at the time blackpearl was originally released.  I believe the menu item name referenced here ("K2 Error Repairing") has been changed to "K2 Process Management" with blackpearl SP1.  There are also more details on the specifics of "K2 Process Management"  within the K2[blackpearl] User Guide within the section 'K2 for Visual Studio > K2 Designer for Visual Studio > K2 Process Management".

HTH.

Badge +4

Interesting! This may very well be what I'm looking for.

Thanks!