View flow permissions

• 12 January 2008
  • 14 replies

Badge +3

When trying to view the flow of a process instance, the window first shows a broken image, then a minute or so after it says (in place of the broken image):

The View Flow permissions have not been configured.
Administrative rights are required on the local machine to install the View Flow.

I am a local administrator on my client PC, so admin rights don't appear to be the problem.  Any ideas?

14 replies

Badge +8
Are you an administrator on the K2 server too (ie is the user account you using been set up as an administrator in the K2 Workspace >> Management Console)?
Badge +4

I get the same problem on a client machine. It seems that the View Flow compenent needs the running user to be local administrator to be able to view it.

Can somebody confirm the requirements or process they followed to roll out the View Flow capability in the enterprise. Naturally none of the thousand users here are local admins on their machines.

Regards,
Gabriel

Badge +3
Yes, the user account I am using is an admin in the K2 server (Management Console -> Workflow Server -> Server Rights).  This account is also a local administrator on the server, so I can't imagine it is a permissions problem.
Badge +9
Just to check is the .NET framework 2.0 and 3.0 installed on the client machine and also is there any policies being applied which affect the IE zone security settings?
Badge +3

.NET 2.0 and 3.0 are installed on the client machine.

There are some group policies that are applied, but I'm not sure what they are.  I have added the server URL to the client's trusted sites list.  What specific policies is the view flow functionality dependent upon?

Badge +4
We've installed .NET 3 on the machine and now it works. Does this mean we need to roll out .NET 3 on all desktops that will access the Viewflow?
Badge +3
I've got the .NET frameworks 1.1, 2.0, 3.0 and 3.5 on my client and it still does not work (I get the permission error message), so I wonder why it all of a sudden started working for you when installing .NET 3.  I have submitted a support ticket on this, but have not heard back yet.
Badge

Crum66 -

Can you try removing .Net 3.5 from the machine and re-try?

Badge +10

Odd, I know there is an ActiveX control that needs to be installed to correctly see the coolness that is ViewFlow.  But since you are admin i do not get why it would not let you. Unless there is some kind of strange policy in IE or other.

Take a look at the file called K2ViewFlowDeployer.cab

C:Program FilesK2 blackpearlWorkSpaceSiteTaskListControl

I think this is where the control is coming from. Take a look in there and see if you can get it installed "Manually" rather than automagically.  It may work.

Badge +3

Thanks Chris... that did it.  I found the cab file on the server, extracted the MSI file, ran the installer, and then the view flow worked.  After thinking about this a bit, I think I know what's going on.  We have a GPO that only allows ActiveX controls to be installed from a specific "ActiveX store" (internal server), and we have not yet put this view flow ActiveX control on that server.  Once we do, then I'm sure it would work without needing to manually install it.

I think I now owe you two sesame chicken lunches...  :-)

Dave

Badge +2

If you extract the MSI from the cab below and save it on a network share, you can use GPO to assign it to the desktops in your organization and have this installed automatically.

C:Program FilesK2 blackpearlWorkSpaceSiteTaskListControlK2ViewFlowDeployer.cab

Badge +2

I had the same problem, and my solution was:

Close all open internet browsers.

Open internet browser, go to workspace, .... click  on view flow and all is well.

So, before spending hours trying to debug the issue, close all browsers and see what happens.

Good luck.

Jaco

Badge +2

Just an FYI - The file path for blackpoint is: C:Program FilesMicrosoft Sharedweb server extensions12TEMPLATELAYOUTSK2TaskList

This post was very helpful in pointing me in the right direction, I just had to customize for blackpoint.

Great Post! Thanks

Badge +4

Hi,

As an administrator I am able to view the ViewFlow but with other user account it saying "user does not have permissions to view the process". Can anyone please make it clear that whether View Flow compenent needs the running user to be local administrator to be able to view it.

Or else I am missing some configuration settings.