Multiple WorkFLow Instances for One InfoPath Document

• 28 July 2009
  • 2 replies

Badge +6

Hi,

I have a question about how to avoid having multiple workflow instaces for The same InfoPath Document in case the initiator wants to modify the already submitted instance and the next approver didn't opened the document yet. 

In other terms if a user creates an inforpath document and submits it to his manager for approval, if the manager still didn't opened and submitted the document, he still can modify it and once the manager opens the document he will be having the last version of the submitted doc. 

How can i do this in K2 knowing that now each time the user is submitting the document a new Workflow instance is being created for his manager!

2 replies

Badge +3

Hi

Considering your bussiness situation, I believe the easiest way to accomplish this would be to have 1 InfoPath client event, one for the submiter and one for the manager, here is the catch and where the magic of the K2 system start, the manager only needs to approve/reject the InfoPath client event and the submiter needs to submit once(to start the process) and then have the option to update the process. Follow the below steps to accomplish this.

1...On the client event add the manager and the originator of the process as destinations

2...Add 3 actions to the InfoPath client event, Approve/Decline/Update and deploy

3...Now in workspace go the process and edit the action rights on the process, meaning, give the manager Allow rights to Approve/Decline and give the submiter Allow rights to Update, now give the manager Denied rights to Update and give the submiter Denied rights to Approve/Decline.

By doing this you will gain the functionality you seek.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The information contained herin does not reflect the view of K2, this is my own opinion

Badge +5
Another approach would be to publish the form to a library after the initial submit, set its view to an 'Update' view (or something similar) and if the view is 'Update', save the data (assuming it is using SmartObjects) back to the data store.  There will be no K2 actions on this view as there is no 'work flow' being done, just data manipulation.  Then, when the manager loads his/her work list item, it will load the latest data from the data store on the 'Manager Approval' view which contains the K2 task action field.