set a condition for dummies!

Badge +6

Good afternoon. 

I am a total Nintex Workflow Novice & have had the most basic training you could imagine.

What i have is a form, created from a list where i need to make a workflow decision based on a couple of criteria.

Firstly i need to have "manager" requested for authorisation when two conditions are met.

A)  If the request is outside of office hours (08:30 - 16:30) but ONLY if the request is ABOVE £8000

B) If the request is INSIDE office hours (08:30 - 16:30) but ONLY if the request is ABOVE £2500

Therefore if the request is INSIDE Office hours & is BELOW £2500 then no manager authorisation is required & the workflow should move on to the next step.

I have a column in my list that established the date & time that the form is/was started

I have another column that records the value of the request

Also, i have the basic workflow set up for the parallel actions but it is not totally clear where a condition should be put

198315_pastedImage_1.png

I gather that i need to set a condition but i cannot seem to adapt this to within a time range or outside a time range.

To further complicate matters if the request is made at a weekend (Saturday & Sunday) then this is also regarded as outside office hours (dunno if this makes any difference?)

Some gentle guidance would be warmly welcome. Please bear in mind this is day one for me so i might not get you if you talk too geeky!!!

Thanks in advance - Pete

13 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi Peter,

instead of running actions parallel have a look at the "logic and flow" group in your workflow designer it holds an action called "run if" which can hold your condition and execute an optional part that is only run if the condition is true.

Besides of that you also can use the "set a condition" action that validates a condition to true or false and lets you define workflows for both outcomes.

In both you can easily check if the current item's value colums is above or below a specific value.

Calculating workflow hours is a tough one though. I found a post that describes a solution but it's not really easy especially when you're new to Nintex Workflows.

Kind regards,

Enrico

Badge +6

Thanks Enrico - you are right about the other post being complex!

I will have a look at logic & flow

No doubt i will have more questions - but its nearly the weekend happy.png

One for Monday i think!

Badge +6

I have had another idea - just want to run its viability & possible pitfalls past you before i try it

198327_pastedImage_2.png

I've adjusted my list & input form to have a 3 way choice. Office hours = Yes/No, Cost over £2500 = Yes/No, Cost over £8000 = Yes/No

I presume this would work if i set a condition? Any tips!?

Pete

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi Pete,

didn't you want to start your weekend? grin.png

Well, that would work but you will have to rely on your users that they understand all constellations and give you correct information.

I'd get rid of the PGM cost boxes and just evaluate the pgm cost value the user entered before. You can easily check if a cost value is above or below a specific value.

For the first shot you could try somethink like this:

198328_pastedImage_2.png

In your workflow try the following

198329_pastedImage_3.png

What do you think?

Badge +6

I reckon thats the one - deffo Monday though!

HAGWE - & ta for your help.....

Badge +6

Hello again...

I am close to doing this but am puzzled how you manged to get the " >2500" & ">8000" in the run if boxes.

i cant see the option for a "greater than" - this is what i see:

198412_pastedImage_1.png

What am i missing?

Also, below is the top part of my workflow. The right side is the managers authorisation. This will only run if outside office hours. The left branch will be is it over 2500 & the right branch will be is it over 8000 (at least this is how i see it!)

On the left side of the workflow is the Auth by PT. This will run irrespective of what happens on the right as PT will have to authorise EVERY document. Managers will only be required to authorise as detailed above

198413_pastedImage_2.png

There is every chance i have totally the wrong end of the stick with this!

Any thoughts? I notice you lines are different to mine - whats that about?

Pete

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi again,

If I understood your scenario right you should create a PGM Cost column of type currency. If you have fields of type currency or number, the condition rules will change to greater or equal and so on. In your first screen you have not set a value so it shows you the string condition rules.

I only have a denglish screenshot, sorry

198414_pastedImage_1.png

Would that work for you? Or do you simply want the user select of > 2500 or > 8000 instead of typing the value by hand?

Your workflow looks good to me though. I think it will do what you want to achieve. You only should move those 2 flexi tasks on the right into the respective run-if-actions.

What do you mean with those different lines though?

Kind regards,

Enrico

Badge +6

i am possibly being a bit dim but as i see this "configure action box"

198417_pastedImage_1.png

What it is asking is to carry out the action if the value is "> 2500"  (IE if the initiator has types this EXACTLY like this in text form)

I would have thought we need to ask if the value is greater than or equal to (in the equals pull down) than the value that has been entered into the "Approx PGM Cost" field in the list/form.  I decided against having a yes/no answer to the two values (2500 or 8000) & have a field where the initiator enters the approximate value of the PGM. this is how the form/list looks now:

198422_pastedImage_3.png

I have made a couple of enhancements to the overall since last log:

198418_pastedImage_2.png 

Don't be fooled by the lack of warning triangles in the 2 Run/If boxes - these are the two i still need to configure correctly as detailed above.

I really don't have a clue what to do to resolve this.  

Badge +6

got it! Changed the list value to Sterling & it configured just fine

Ta again. UR a lifesaver....

Badge +6

last question on this particular subject. 

198423_pastedImage_1.png

I have run a trial for this job. The PT side works fine - i have to get an email notification when a job is submitted. However i am getting notifications from the managers side in every instance too

I thought that the Run/If boxes would make a decision based on the value? So if the value is UNDER 2500 do nothing. If the value is OVER 2500 then move on & send an email notification (Likewise the managers side)

Or am i missing something again?

Pete

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Hi Peter - 

In your previous screen shot, you showed having your Run If configured as "Value" and then in the field box " > 2500"

I'm wondering if this might go a bit more smoothly for you if you set it instead to:

Where Approx PGM Cost

Is Less Than or Equal To

Value 2500

This might fix your current Run If issue - I've not used an ">" operator inside of the field value so give this a shot! Just in case!

Badge +6

Good morning all

just to re-iterate where i am with this. I have created an overall workflow that seems to work except for it sending email notifications to the managers if the value of the request is under 2500. What it should do is stop & not notify the managers if the job is under 2500. If it is over 2500 then a managers should get an authorise email. This is on the "no" side of a "condition" that asks if the request is outside office hours

This is the detail:

198438_pastedImage_1.png

I have created 2 columns in my list/Form that have the values of £2500 & £8000 so that i have the ability to quickly & easily update the thresholds.

By my limited understanding the run if statements says that - if value entered exceeds set value then proceed, else stop.

This isn't happening - it is sending a manager email regardless!

I am sure this is simple to resolve but i can't figure it out. I also watched some of the training videos & someone went to great lengths to say that there were extra processes in the workflow that are not required. I am certain that what i want to do here can be MUCH simpler i just dont have the experience or knowhow as yet (it is only day three for me!!) 

Any tips or advice is greatly appreciated as i am a little bit stuck

Cheers

Pete

Badge +6

Hi All

I was able to resolve this by removing the condition box, replacing it with a run parallel actions & adding an "And" statement into the RunIf Box.

More details are in my other thread:

Let me know if you have further opinions on this

Cheersloads

Pete