Understanding processes better (specifically in SharePoint with Infopath integration)

Badge +9

Hello, I wonder if anyone can assist with improving my understanding of K2 processes.  I mean the concept of the process files themselves; when should you have multiple processes... or subprocesses.

Background: I use K2 for Visual Studio, and all of my K2 processes use InfoPath integration residing in SharePoint.  For me, every time I want to make a new workflow I open up K2 for Visual Studio, create a new k2 project like WORKFLOW01.K2PROJ, then I rename the default Process1.kprx to WORKFLOW01.kprx.  I integrate it with the required SharePoint Form Library, and I put everything in that 1 kprx file.  Sometimes my process  might have multiple operations, like ADD or EDIT.  So I'll have a radio button in my InfoPath form asking the user which operation they wish to perform, rules in the form to show different fields depending on the operation selected, and two lines with rules depending on the selected operation, with different steps each way.

I have been wondering for some time if I am doing this right.  In other words, should I have an ADD.KPRX and an EDIT.KPRX.  I mean, I feel silly in workspace expanding WORKFLOW01 and seeing another WORKFLOW01 under it to expand.  I think in some cases it is unavoidable, but in situations with different operations  I am not sure.  I can't seem to think of a situation I would ever have more than 1 KPRX file in a K2 project.  Which has me feeling like maybe I am missing out.  I also can't help but wonder if, because I'm using InfoPath, maybe it's just simply not a good route to go.  Maybe this functionality was more intended for SmartForms than InfoPath.  I mean, then I'd have to have multiple Form libraries, right?  I'm not a fan of that.  But then I don't understand the point of it.

Sorry for the rambling, I hope it makes sense!

0 replies

Be the first to reply!