cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Not applicable

Nintex Pros and Cons

Environment: Nintex Office 365

Product: Nintex Forms O365 and Nintex Workflow O365.

One of my client is asking for a Pros and Cons for Nintex.

Does anyone have a predefined set of list?

Thanks,

Arvi

0 Kudos
3 Replies
tbeduneau
Nintex Newbie

Re: Nintex Pros and Cons

Pros and cons of Nintex....compared to ? Any other product ? SharePoint native features ?

0 Kudos
Nintex Employee
Nintex Employee

Hello -

I do not have a predefined list, but I can speak from experience/personal preferences...

Workflow: Quick to deploy and can be shown off to business units, but requires some extra legwork to understand the tools you have

Forms: Can customize as you see fit quite easily, but (again) requires going the extra step to understand what tools you have at your disposal.

Workflow

Pros:

• Easier to describe/show business unit because it is more visual (like Visio) than a workflow within SharePoint Designer.
  • Can create User Defined Actions which can be implemented in multiple workflows (we use a "ReportsTo" action to get a user's direct report for escalation emails).

Cons:

• General learning curve requires one to do the research. I spend most of my time trying new things or seeing what the community has to say. There is no one document that details everything from top to bottom.
  • Errors can be cryptic at times. Again, it takes some legwork to hunt down what went wrong and how to fix it, but I have yet to run into anything that is unique to me.

Form

Pros:

• JavaScripting can really make your form do amazing things!
  • Can apply CSS

Cons:

• Due to the high level of available customization, requires someone to know the skills
  • Some things are a bit trickier to setup than they would be in something like InfoPath such as data connections, cascading dropdowns. Keep in mind, though, that much of this is detailed here in the community, or out on the web.

I have used InfoPath for so long it is just second nature to throw something together in InfoPath and get it out the door within a day. Now I do create a form in InfoPath for developement/showing it to business, but then go back and try rework in Nintex. There is no reason I have to develop all forms in one or the other, so I look at it case by case and see what makes the most sense. Some habits are just hard to break

I enjoy learning new tools and ways to do things so its an adventure.

Hope this helps!

0 Kudos
burkslm
Nintex Newbie

I don't have a list.

I am a SharePoint developer and I can tell you I can't stand the SharePoint workflow. It is so not user-friendly!!! I didn't know what in the world I was doing!!! When I started using Nintex, I immediately was able to go in and figure things out. It was just intuitive. The Nintex design area was so easy to use. You can just drag and drop your actions onto the space, copy and paste pre-existing actions, drag them around to change the order, etc. To me, it was just so much easier to pick up. The Nintex workflow fit right in with SharePoint so you could access the lists, libraries and sites.

0 Kudos