Document Library Start on Item Creation

• 23 December 2015
  • 6 replies

Badge +3

I have written a workflow on a document library (SharePoint 2013, Nintex 2013 Version 3.1.0.2), and now when I upload a document to the library, after filling out the properties form and clicking save, I get a red error message at the bottom of the form saying

156778_pastedImage_0.png

and it just hangs there and never finishes saving. I realized this is actually an edit form and tried changing the workflow to start on item modification, but got the same result. I have also tried:

• adding a Pause For 5 minutes at the beginning of the workflow
  • adding a "wait for item update" until the field I need is not empty
  • changing the start to conditional modification when the necessary field is not empty

All of these resulted in the same problem. Any suggestions much appreciated!

6 replies

Badge +3

Hi Akhil,

Thank you for your reply! The workflow is on a real estate license document library. One of the columns denotes the name of the appraiser whose license it is. There is a separate list where the real estate department employees can choose whether to receive an alert when their license is nearing expiration. What I want the new workflow, on the library, to do is look to see whether the appraiser exists on the alert sign up list and, if not, to add their name (for example when we have a new hire whose licenses get added to the library). It never gives me the chance to check the document in. I click Add Document, browse to the file and click OK, fill out the properties form (including the Appraiser column) and then I get the result I described above.

Userlevel 4
Badge +8

Cheryl -

How large is the workflow (number of actions)?  Would you be able to include a screenshot of it so we can see what the workflow is doing?

How does the user upload a document to this library (Drag and drop to document library, click "Upload Document", click "New Document")?  It sounds like you are using the "Upload Document" button, but please confirm.  Also, what happens if you try say "drag and drop" or "New Document"?

Along Akhil Mummadi's suggestion... what are the versioning settings? Do you have "Require documents to be checked out before they can be edited?" enabled on this library?

Badge +3

Thank you for your reply Tom Castiglia

I seem to have solved this by changing the workflow's automatic start setting to 'conditional modification', with the condition that 'Appraiser is not empty'.

If it's of use to anyone else who refers to this discussion, the workflow is:

WF1.PNG

WF2.PNG

Badge +3

I appear to have spoken too soon - it seemed to be working yesterday but today it is not. The versioning is set to 'Create major versions', and require check out is set to 'No'. The document is not checked out to me. If I use the +new document link, or the upload document button, it still gives me the error message I originally posted when I attempt to save the properties form. If I use drag and drop, it uploads the document without giving me the opportunity to populate any properties. When I then edit the properties and populate the Appraiser field, the workflow runs. Viewing the workflow history shows all actions as completed, and the new item is created in the Alerts list, but I don't receive the notification even though it is addressed directly to me while testing (that action added today).

I've just created a workflow on a library in a separate testing site and, using the +new document link, it is saving the properties form successfully and the test workflow completes (only one action - Send Notification), but I'm not receiving the email from this one either.

WF1.PNG

Akhil MummadiTom Castiglia

Badge +3

Further findings.....

1. There is another workflow on the Licenses library that is set to start on item creation, which copies the Name into the Title field. If I set that workflow not to run, then I am able to successfully save the properties form after using the +new document link.
  2. If I use our Help Desk email address in the 'From' field of the Send Notification action, it does not send. But if I leave it blank or put a regular username, it does send.
Badge +3

OK, I have moved the Set Field Value action from the other workflow into this workflow and deleted the other workflow. The create alert workflow is now set to start on item creation, and I added a wait for item update configured with Appraiser is not empty.

Complete workflow, which now starts and completes successfully:

WF1.PNG

WF2.PNG