next due date automatically calculated?

Badge +2

is there a way to generate an automatic next due date within a document?  I have documents in sharepoint that are due yearly, when i uploaded the document to the site i created 2 fields, due date of fling and next due date, is there a way to put a workflow in the next due date field where it automatically generates the next date?

11 replies

Badge +7

Hi,

Do you mean you want to update the "next due date" based on the value of "due date of fling"?

Badge +2

no i want the field next due date to update automatically from the date of filing field, e.g., filed a document on 1/20/2017, the next due date is 1/20/2018 (1 year), so basically once i put in the date of filing date, i would like it to automatically calculate the next due date w/out me having to do the calculation each time.  I would also like to put in "reminders" (via email) to go out 6 months before next due date, 3 months before, etc. down to the due date.  hope i haven't confused you. 

Badge +7

Hi,

1-Concerning the first point, next due date can be a Sharepoint Calculated value with the below formula:

=DATE(YEAR([First Date])+1,MONTH([First Date]),DAY([First Date]))
So if First Date is equal to "6/9/2017", the calculated one will be " 6/9/2018"

2-Concerning reminders, you have to schedule a Nintex site WF which check daily the dates value and upon this check it took the needed actions

Regards,

Badge +8

Hi ‌,

I think that is what Philip meant.

You can use a Nintex Workflow for this by using the action 'Calculate Date'. Just create a date variable 'dueDate', add 'due date of filling' in hte 'Date' field, insert 1 in the 'Years' field, use the variabele 'dueDate' in the field 'Store date in', and then use the 'Update item' to store the variable 'dueDate' in the colomn 'Next due date'.

You need to create a site workflow for the reminders.

Cheers,

Rick

Badge +2

IT WORKED!!!!!!  thank you soooooo sooooo very much for the help, really appreciate it happy.png

Badge +2

ok so i hit a wall, so i see now that it just assumes that all the documents will be due yearly, this is a problem as some of the documents need only be filed every 3 years, is there a way around this? 

Badge +7

Based on which criteria?

Badge +2

date of filing.  some filings are due yearly others are due at other times, like 3 years, so in the example we used above the filing date was 1/20/2017, next due date of 1/20/2018.  so instead of 1 year for a totally different documents its due in 3 years from date of filing.  is there a way to not have a "universal" formula and just have an individual formula based on the document? 

Badge +7

Dear,

Instead of 

DATE(YEAR([First Date])+1,MONTH([First Date]),DAY([First Date]))

use

DATE(YEAR([First Date])+[Number_of_Years],MONTH([First Date]),DAY([First Date]))

where Number_of_Year is a field related to nbr of years.

Badge +2

awesome, it worked, thanks very much again for your help. 

Badge +1

We were trying to generate date after 10 days from Today/a salesforce date field. But, we are unable to get a way out