Forward to another activity when no Destination users

• 16 October 2007
  • 2 replies

Badge +1

I have your typical approval flow.  User submits request and it goes through 4 sequential levels of approval.  I'm routing the destination dynamically by loading users from a database table.

My issue is that not all of the departments will need/use all levels of approval.  I would like to be able to forward to the next level of approval if my query does not return any users.  The gotoActivity() does not seem to be availible in the Destination Rule context.  Any suggestions for handling this situation?  I've considered having line rules to each of the subsequent Levels and evaluating which one it should go to, but that doesn't seem very clean.

Example:  Bob (accounting) submits a request.  Accounting only has approvers listed at levels 1,3, and 4.  After it is approved by the Level 1 approver, this request should skip Level 2 and go to Level 3.....

2 replies

Badge +9

You may consider implementing a spider model.  More details here: http://k2underground.com/blogs/adriaanandolaf/archive/2007/06/27/workflow-design-spider-workflow.aspx

HTH.

Badge +1

I might be able to make that work for my situation, I will give it a try.  Thanks!