Are there examples anywhere on how to use certain actions? Like switch

Badge +8

Sometimes I get stuck with when/where I should put something say in a run if condition box, or what do you need to kick off a switch, or where to place a pending change action, or a loop. What is the best way to see examples of how people have built workflows using workflow actions?

My specific question is around a switch I am building. Do I need a run if before the switch and do I put the switch in the run if condition box?

Thanks.

13 replies

Badge +16

you don't need to put your switch inside a run if (unless there are certain conditions where you don't want your switch to execute).

the help button on each action ribbon is so useful - tells you all you need to know about the action and I am pretty sure Frank Field​ has said that the training materials will be covering each of the actions over the coming months which should help.

Have you looked at any of the training materials/

Run if - will run stuff inside the container if the condition is true.  if condition is not true, will skip over the run if action and everything inside the container

Set a condition - will run actions on one branch if condition is true, and if not true will run actions on the other branch.

switch - multiple branches for multiple outcomes

Badge +8

Thanks Cassy. My help button doesn't really do anything but tell me about SharePoint. It doesn't specify around the action I am using. I am learning what the actions do, but not always how to use them correctly. I created a workflow with a set condition, which worked awesome, but then realized I needed to run it differently for each frequency (daily, weekly, monthly, etc.) so I thought I should try using the switch. That's when I got stuck on how to execute the switch. I believe I need to run a query for items that are complete or pending then run the switch according to the frequency.

Can't wait for the training that Frank Field has planned. I have viewed several videos and training materials over the past few months. If I have one suggestion of this site, is that the training materials and navigations be a little easier for newbies like myself to use/find. It's really hard to find materials related to exactly what I am looking for sometimes due to my amateur phrases. That's why I post so much.

186311_pastedImage_0.png

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

Cassy Freeman​ was referring to the help page within the action settings screen.

Add an action to your workflow designer and double click on it. When the settings dialog box opens up you will see a Help icon in the ribbon and this is a help file specific to the action. The information in this is really useful, although may not go into enough detail about workflow logic.

Let us know whether you can find these and then whether this is of more use to you.

Badge +8

Ryan

That's exactly what I did. Double clicked my commit changes box and hit the help icon in the top right corner. The screen shot is what pops up.

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

Capture.PNG

This one????

Badge +16

http://nintexdownload.com/helpfiles/nw2013/NintexWorkflow2013UserManual.html

this might help

Badge +8

Yep!

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

Then Cassy Freeman​ link will be the way forward for you. Not sure why that's the case for you as it's always worked for us. Perhaps the help file hasn't been installed?

Perhaps check with your IT guys and get them to fix this for you, or with Nintex direct if you have Farm access.

Badge +8

Frank Field​ and Cassy Freeman​ thank you both. I have used both of the resources you provided on several occasions and they are very helpful. I guess, as a beginner, I was referencing more towards screen shots of actual written workflow examples. How the actions fall into place within the workflow, what needs to be "around" what to make them run effectively, etc.. Not necessarily for me at this point (although I could still use them), but for anyone brand new to using the workflows. If they are anything like me, visualization helps. Maybe you have this covered. Just a suggestion from someone who has been there recently. Thanks for listening.

Badge +16

Have you been on any Nintex training? I whole heartedly recommend it. We use combined knowledge - trainers are Rob Pratt​ and Chris Casingena​ - they do a three day workflow course that will show you EVERYTHING you need to know and will help it all fall into place for you. obviously happy to help but seems like you're missing an introduction to Nintex somewhere along the lines. Not sure I could have just got up and running with it without someone guiding me through in the beginning x

Badge +8

Maybe I am not looking in the correct place on learning center because I have viewed several video courses but have never seen anything regarding a 3 day workflow class. Sounds amazing though. I haven't been able to view every single video but below is what I have looked into so far. I am more of a hands on person and don't like to look around too long before getting my hands dirty. I had thought I found all that was available. If you can point me to the ones you speak of, I would love to look into it. Thanks!

186322_pastedImage_0.png

I have viewed almost all of these.

186326_pastedImage_1.png

Badge +16

Nintex Training - Combined Knowledge

Badge +11

Do a search on 'Switch' in this community or anything else and there are a lot of examples.