cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Nintex Forms Web Part in Web Part Page -

Jump to solution

I have designed a Nintex form to capture information in two stages from users to write to a list.

First stage is initial creation of a record (list item), this is then passed via workflow to an Investigator who will update the second part of the record. (These two sections are contained in 2 separate panels that are hidden with rules to ensure the correct info is shown at each stage)

I wish to embed this Nintex Form in a Web Part page using the Nintex Form list form wb part. This works fine for a New item, however when I have created an Edit page and set the Nintex Form to Edit mode it requires the Item number to Edit. It specifies that this must be a number. I understand the need for a reference to an item ID , however I wish to use this Edit Page to Edit any item in the list. The Form Settings appear to only allow a Form in a web part page to edit one specific item.

With other Web Parts i can reference a parameter from the URL or take a connection from another web part on the page but Nintex Form web part does not seem to allow this.

I want to avoid the default editform.aspx or displayform.aspx pages as they do not render the forms as they have been styled in the form designer - I also with to avoid use of Dialogs to show the forms as i can not control their display properties/size etc in teh same way i can when embedded.

Embedding them in a Web Part page also allows me to place other content on the same page.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Dan

(PS I'm using Sharepoint 20, Nintex Forms and workflow 2010, Windows 7 and IE9)

Labels: (2)
14 Replies
Workflow Hero

Re: Nintex Forms Web Part in Web Part Page -

Jump to solution

I've seen this request and question a lot lately. First I would suggest to vote on a feature request I made to have connections made available to the webpart here Nintex Form List Form Webpart allow Webpart Connections – Customer Feedback for Nintex

I believe you know that you can reach the page through a dynamic url string and mimic the same as clicking on the edit button for an item. But it appears that you want to customize a page with the item content plus other web part content. I would recommend to not try and edit a EditForm.aspx page even when not using Nintex forms.

What kind of content do you want displayed below the item edit form if it was able to be in a webpart? I'm wondering if it is possible to put that content into the form itself. Also, you can remove the ability for the form to display in dialog by going to list settings, advanced settings, select No to Launch forms in a dialog. This will display the nintex form in a full page.

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Thanks Andrew.

Thats right, i want to send my users to a custom page e.g editmyform.aspx or dsplaymyform.aspx. This page would ideally contain a Nintex Form web part, set to either Edit or Display. I would rather not amend the default edit or display pages but this may be my only option if i cant dynamically reference the Nintex Form webpart to an item ID

Additional content may vary and is negotiable but is likely to range from Task Lists, nav links to other sites/forms on this site, or other content as required by whichever Department commissions the form.

What I am unsure of is why the NIntex Form Web Part is available to place on a Web Part page if it has to be referenced to a static item ID? THis seems to force me into using the default Editform.aspx page - so if i want to edit the format and content of the page i have to edit the default page layout, which, as you mention would not tbe recommended.

We have had issues with pages launched in dialog not being read correctly by our screen readers for employees with access issues, so I want to avod dialogs and embed the forms in pages,preferably custom, wherever possible.

0 Kudos
Workflow Hero

Jump to solution

You should be able to use the List Lookup control on the form to look at the related tasks. You could also use a list lookup to display links to pages when from a configuration list filtered by some field. Or just use link controls direct on the form. I guess it just depends on the content you need to add, but don't forget it as an option and that they can be forced to full page when dialogs are turned off.

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Thanks Andrew, appreciate your responses.

Could I just confirm then - does the Nintex List Form webpart support the ability to reference a dynamic item ID when placed in a web part page in Edit mode...?

Appreciate there are workarounds but what is the intended use of the Form web part if it has to be set to a static Item ID in the web part settings..?

regards,

Dan

0 Kudos
Workflow Hero

Jump to solution

The Nintex List Form Webpart does not have the ability to dynamically reference an ID. For its intended use in the real world examples, I'm not sure. I use it a lot for New item creation, but not for editing.

I mentioned to use the List Lookup to display list data on the form, but that is for a single field, the List View control will display multiple list items on the form. There is also the List Item control to view one item.

Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Jump to solution

Dan Gorman

This blog may be helpful to understanding how it could work for you and tweak it to your specific scenario.

Show and Filter list items in Nintex Forms

Not applicable

Jump to solution

Thanks Eric,

I have taken a quick look and it doesnt quite suit what i need to do (my users wont know the ID of the record they wish to view/edit) but I will look in more detail to see if this givs me any ideas as to how it can be tweaked.

Thanks again.

0 Kudos
Workflow Hero

Jump to solution

I agree, this makes no sense to required the item ID.  We should be able to add the item ID in the form and have the form filled in appear for edit or display purposes.  I hadn't tried the web part in Edit or Display mode and cannot see any logical use with the restrictions.

0 Kudos
Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Jump to solution
Kim,
From my experience,  it is not built to allow form within form editing. It is there to show a read only view and or hyperlink.  
0 Kudos