Pull data from company directory to autopopulate Nintex form

• 22 February 2017
  • 12 replies

Badge +6

Hi,

We have a company directory that I would like for my Nintex form to pull data from to allow for an easy user experience.  I would like for the data from the company directory to automatically populate when a user accesses the form.

Here is a clip of the data that can be found on our directory----is there a way to automatically have the fields on my Nintex form pull & populate from this data source?

12 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Hello,

Nintex can pull in data from external sources, but it depends on what those external sources are.   Is your directory accessible via SQL or webservice endpoints?   I think everyone will need a bit more information to give you the clearest of answers.

Thanks!

Mike

Badge +8

Hi Inger Spikner‌,

If your Company directory has exposed any web service call, you can then call the web service to get the current user details to auto-populate in the Nintex form when accessed.

Custom JQuery for the above logic can be written in the Custom JavaScript section that is present on the Form Settings:

199787_pastedImage_1.png

Badge +6

Thanks so much for your responses Mike Matsako‌ and Chaitra B C‌.

Our data resides within a SQL database and is displayed on a SharePoint page. We do not have a web service for this or any of our SharePoint.

What can we do with the SQL database to auto-populate on our Nintex form?

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

If you have Enterprise edition then you should have access to the SQL control that can pull data directly from SQL onto your form.  See here:  

Badge +8

What is the way you are pulling the SQL data onto SharePoint?

If your able to get the SQL data onto SharePoint, I am sure you can get in Nintex forms. Like the way ‌ mentioned above.

Badge +6

I think I need to revise my original question----because I do not have access to our SQL database.

I have managed to get this database exported to an Excel sheet.  How can I pull data from columns on an Excel sheet.

‌ 

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

Use the Query Excel Services action. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

Wait...should have read the whole thread.  Don't know how that would work on a form.  

199921_pastedImage_1.png

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

That is a very different question happy.png  Would you mind marking my original response correct as to not mislead others searching for this topic?

Anyways, you will want to import your Excel file into a List, and then surfacing data onto a Nintex Form becomes very easy.   You can use the List lookup control if its a list other than the list the form resides on, or several other mechanisms like a calculated field with a "lookup" function on it.

Hope that helps,
Mike

Badge +6

Thanks for this ‌. Can you point me to any tutorials about surfacing data onto a Nintex form?

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Hello,

Do you mean if the data is coming from Sharepoint lists?   Or some other source?

Thanks,

Mike

Badge +6

My goal is to try to import the Excel database into Sharepoint.  I will have to update this list periodically because new employees are constantly being added or removed.

So in a way, I would like to have BOTH----so that I can determine if its more beneficial to import the Excel sheet or would it be better if the list were fed from an external source (which would mean less work for me)