Install Issues: K2 Studio

• 14 January 2016
  • 8 replies

Badge +5

Hello.

I am relatively new to K2 and have only had some interface training (Intro, SmartForms).  My current employer has K2 installed on 3 servers (done by consultants). I need to be able to have K2 Studio configured on my machine to access any of these servers.

I ran the 'K2 blackpearl' installer,  selected client tools, selected K2 Blackpeal Server, K2 workspace, K2 for visual studio core, k2 studio, and required components.

Installed pre-reqs, and ran into issues with selecting how to connect (K2 Server Database).  I tried both windows authentication and sql..with sql authentication, i tried with and without the domain name.

I have tried looking thru here and some of the help articles. Any pointers or ideas of what could be wrong or if I am going about this the wrong way? 

10987i6DE20109F4004B60.png

8 replies

Badge +9

You don't really need to install any server components on your local machine if you want to connect to the existing environment.

As for your SQL server, do you have SQL Management Studio or some application that you can try connecting to that server to see if you can login?  You might want to login to check to make sure the DB is called "K2".  Also make sure you're installing the same version of blackpearl as what is installed on the servers.

Badge +4

Hi  @Cgreenhouse,

So to confirm, even while using Windows Authentication, when you click next, the wizard will not let you continue? And there server name listed is correct and you have admin rights across the board?

Badge +5

Thank you Victoria & Muffin Man for getting back to me so quickly, really appreciate it!

Victoria: Myself and coworker connected via odbc data source to see if we could connect to the SQL server with the credentials we had and the connection was sucessful - so we have the correct database name, login, etc.

Just to be clear, if I only need to be able to connect via K2 Studio and VIsual Studio, I should only need to install those nodes? (and those pre-reqs) and then configure them? Will I have all of the event wizards I need?

MuffinMan: Yes, I use the 'test' button to see if it will move forward and I usually get an error similar to:

'A network-related or instance-specific error occured while establishing a connection to SQL Server.  The server was not found or was not accessible.  Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connecitons.

Badge +9

Right!  I have client tools on my local machine so here's a screenshot for reference.  This is just blackpearl so If you need SmartForms event wizards then you need to run that installer and select those client tools as well.

16636iF0D7AE5D0F42376F.jpg

Further to Chad's recommendation, did you run the install as admin?  I know in my early days of using K2 I wasn't running it as admin and that seemed to cause the occasional weird issue.  I always run it as admin now just to avoid any other issues it may cause.

Either way, I'm not entirely sure if this is an issue with K2 or general issue connecting to the DB.  That error message itself is common when connecting to SQL in many systems.  I found some troubleshooting guides about it on Google that may help:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/18060667/why-am-i-getting-cannot-connect-to-server-a-network-related-or-instance-speci

http://blog.sqlauthority.com/2009/05/21/sql-server-fix-error-provider-named-pipes-provider-error-40-could-not-open-a-connection-to-sql-server-microsoft-sql-server-error/

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/2102.how-to-troubleshoot-connecting-to-the-sql-server-database-engine.aspx

Badge +7

@Cgreenhouse,

Has this been  considered: Installation Rights

In order to successfully install and configure the K2 smartforms component, the Installation User account must be a local administrator on all the servers that will have K2 smartforms installed.

Chad

Badge +5

Thank you Victoria. 

I will look at your links as a reference and see what I can come up with.

Badge +9

I always use the following to test basic SQL connectivity: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/farukcelik/archive/2007/12/31/basics-first-udl-test.aspx

For your case, it might be as simple as having insufficient rights to login to the SQL server for whichever user account you are using to run the installer.

Badge +5

Thanks Chad and Ziq.

I am meeting with one of the server admins today and hopefully we can get past this issue with all of the input I have gotten. 

Fingers crossed!