Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Nintex Newbie

Nintex Forms - Best way to link 2 SharePoint lists into one Form

Hi Nintex Members,

The scenario:

• I have two 'SharePoint' lists List A and List B.
  • List A captures basic summary information including contacts and an ID and Name.
  • List B captures more sensitive information (hence why it is contained in a separate list) and has different columns but shares the ID and Name via lookups

Question:

What is the best way to combine List A and List B in creating a single Form experience for the user?

My initial thoughts would be something like the following:

1. Create one Form with two parts taken from List A and List B
  2. Create a link between two Forms i.e. Complete List A form then save/open link to List B form. In this option I would want to re-use the ID and Name captured in List A form in the List B form (without the user having to manually link the forms).

Can this be done?

I welcome any suggestions, ideas or assistance with this. 

Thanks in advance!

Labels: (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Automation Master
Automation Master

Re: Nintex Forms - Best way to link 2 SharePoint lists into one Form

@CCMODERATOR ....when you say sensitive, in what way? I mean who should be able to see and who should not be able to see? e.g. Created By, Modified By, Workflow Initiator, etc.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Nintex Newbie

The Form needs to capture everyone's submission but once the data is logged in List A and List B, List A is open to all, but List B has permission Groups aligned.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Automation Master
Automation Master

@CCMODERATOR .....How about below approach?

• List A will contains all the columns of list B too
  • When user submits the form (assuming they won't be modifying the list B or list A after creating a new item)
  • Once they submit the form in list A, trigger the workflow in list A:
    • Create items in list B (capture ID of list B for reference purpose)
    • After creating items, set all the columns used for creating list B as blank (this is to make sure no one sees list B's info)
    • Now on list B, create a workflow which will trigger when an item is created
      • Put a couple minutes pause - This is to make sure an item is created and all the columns have been updated
      • Set item permission - Break the inheritance and set the item permission as needed
        • List will have same permission as list A
        • Inheritance will be broken and item permission will be set (not a big fan of setting item permission)
    • You can also explore an option to run workflow as the owner
    • Also if you want them to modify the item, you still have ID value of list B item in list A...maybe you can use that to update item from list A to list B.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Nintex Newbie

@kunalpatel,
Thanks for your second response and suggested approach.
I will give this a go and see how I get on.

I'll let you know how this goes.
0 Kudos