Workflow Reminder

• 12 November 2018
  • 4 replies

Badge +1

We want to create a site Workflow reminder for a Document Library. The Library has a column whith a "due date". We need a workflow which sends an email reminder 2 weeks before the due date hass arrived to the "assigned to" member.

We have already created a list workflow for that library that works with the the pause until workflow item. The problem is that the column "due date" sometimes been changed before the date 2 week ago is arrived. And the workflow send the email although the "due date" it was changed before.

So we need a site workflow that I can control with task schedule.

Bu i have no idea how i can setup a workflow with grabbing the "due date".

Can anybody give a help?

Attached a screenshot of a site workflow we have already created. But the workflow send for all Documents always a email no matter which due date is defined.

Thanks. 

4 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi,

I suggest you create a new site workflow that is scheduled to run each day. The workflow starts to calculate today's date minus two weeks.

Now add a query list action and query all items from your list where due date equals the calculated reminder date. For example query the url, title and assigned person.

Now add a for each loop and iterate the queried items. In the loop send a mail to the according assignee and include the title and link.

Hope this helps.

Best regards

Enrico

Badge +1

Hi Enrico, thanks a lot for your answer.

But Im confused about my workflow :-(.

These are the urgend columns in my library

AssignedTo (responsible for the each document)

DueDate (this is the date for calculating to send email weeks ago beforde this due date is reached)

New
in process
Complete

Now I habe created the workflow with

Calculate date

Query list

for each

send notification

The following settings are:

On For each i cannot choose any informatin??

An im not sure if i have do right in Query List to set a variable from assignedto into col_duedate

Thanks Enrico.

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hmm, now I am confused a bit grin.png

1. Why do you calculate Today's date - 2 Days?

If you want to send alerts 2 weeks before the due date is reached you should calculate today's date + 14 days. This way all items, which's due date is within the next two weeks will be queried and notifications will be sent.

Calculating today - 2 days will only query elements that are overdue until 2 days back.

2. You're calculating the date and you save it to the variable var_duedate. In the next step you use it as a filter in the query list action. But you're using it to query the AssignedTo column. Shouldn't it be the Due Date column?

In the query list item you need to save each queried column into a collection variable. For example assignedTo is saved in a collection variable "assignees".

This collection variable can be iterated in the for each action. There you can save the iteration value in a people variable by selecting it in "Store results in".

This video by Cosima von Kries‌ demonstrates nicely how to use for each loops and collections:

How To: Nintex Workflow for SharePoint - For Each Loop - YouTube 

Best regards

Enrico

Badge +1

Hi Enrico,

1. I have calculate 2 days because of testing :-). With your description now Im understanding how to calculate the due date :-)

2. Ok I have understand

Thanks al lot Enrico for your description and time!

Best regards

Micho