Error Editing SmartObject

• 11 February 2016
  • 0 replies

Badge +4

Symptoms

One of my SmartObjects is throwing an error in the K2 Designer when I try to edit it (both in Internet Explorer and Firefox). I can edit other SmartObjects without issues.

My problematic SmartObject is based on a SQL Server table. It was created entirely within K2 Designer, not the SmartObject Service Tester. Because of this, I can't use the service tester to update the object's underlying schema, which has now changed. I need to edit the object to accommodate our design changes

The SmartObject was built having only Read and List methods to ensure that its data would be treated as read-only. Since making changes to its underlying table, I wanted to edit the object to include 2 new database fields and also introduce an Update method. This requirement lead to the error message in the K2 Designer. Since the SmartObject is used by multiple views, it cannot simply be deleted and recreated without destroying our K2 SmartForms application.

The current SmartObject is still usable by the application and causes no problems. However, the database schema is different now and we must edit the SmartObject to suit.

On my server's Windows application event log I see this business:

Event code: 3005
Event message: An unhandled exception has occurred.
Event time: 1/26/2016 6:02:07 PM
Event time (UTC): 1/26/2016 11:02:07 PM
Event ID: a4c94c6cc8aa4bd4856f43815b1b5299
Event sequence: 909
Event occurrence: 5
Event detail code: 0

Application information:
Application domain: /LM/W3SVC/2/ROOT/Designer-1-130983163698206727
Trust level: Full
Application Virtual Path: /Designer
Application Path: path Machine name: Machine

Process information:
Process ID: 1908
Process name: w3wp.exe
Account name: user

Request information:
Request URL: https://Url/027d3394a1deandcatid=34and_=1453849310523
Request path: /designer/SmartObjects/PartialPage.aspx
User host address: 10.224.22.49
User: User
Is authenticated: True
Authentication Type: Federation
Thread account name: User

Diagnoses

This error usually means that a SamrtObject is corrupted or was recreated with a different GUID.

The

Resolution

user was able to deploy the smartobjects. Two of the them couldn't be Edited. The error was "Object Reference not set to an instance of an object".

To resolve this issue,

1. we exported the SmartObjects to an SODX and copied the original GUID since they were being used in some views.
2. Deleted the SmartObjects from the SmartObject tester.
3. Recreated the SmartObjects using the K2 Designer.
4. One re-created we exported them to a SODX.
5. Deleted the newly created SmartObjects from the SmartObject Tester.
6. Imported the SODX from the SmartObject Tester and changing the GUID of the SmartObject to be the orginal one.

Once this was done, the smartObjects were editable and functioning with no issues.

0 replies

Be the first to reply!