How do you prevent a workflow from running on items in a folder within a document library?

• 9 November 2018
  • 5 replies
  • 1 view

Badge +1

I set up a workflow in a document library configured to start immediately when a new item is created. I noticed that when I created a folder in the document library and added items in there, the workflow ran on those items as well. Is there a way to prevent the workflow from running on the items in the folder? I tried adding a Run If workflow action where if the current item field equals value where Content Type equals Folder, the workflow would end. It's not working. I tried using the URL Path for the folder but that didn't work either. Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!!!

5 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Perhaps you could let the workflow start and the use a RUNIF action 

Badge +1

Hi Fernando!

Do you mean let it run first and then hand it off to another WF and then build in the Run If action in there? The workflow below is what I currently have running in my document library. Thank you!

Badge +1

I was able to resolve this issue by adding a build a string that included the partial URL of the folder and then putting that build string into a Run If action. Thank you!

Badge +7

Don't forget to mark your answer as the correct one.

Badge +1

Thank you for the reminder!