"An error has occurred in [Workflow Name]" - How to get additional error information

• 9 April 2019
  • 1 reply

Badge

Sometimes, worksflows fail with "an error has occurred". No additional error message is provided. The last action in the erroring block is just that it was "incomplete."

In situations such as this, how do you find more information about what the actual error was? Why are some error messages very broad, like this, and others (e.g. SQL errors) much more specific? Do certain actions report errors in this way?

Also - in the workflow status graph for where the workflow failed - green blocks are complete, etc - what is yellow? As far as I can tell green is done, yellow is in progress/incomplete, and red is error. But why is something marked as incomplete when it errored? Why are these blocks not red?

1 reply

Userlevel 6
Badge +22
Hi.

I cant say that I have seen an action in the graphical view that was red. They are either Green which indicates that they ran or Yellow which indicates that they are either running or if the workflow has errored that is where they stopped running.
As you have noticed the error will be different depending on which action caused the error.
If the action does something specific like update an item then the error will more likely be specific.
For generic errors it is best to look in the ULS logs for more details but the logs can also contain generic errors.
In this case it is best to contact Nintex Support support@nintex.com to see if they can assist further.