Capture outcome to process data field

• 21 October 2015
  • 2 replies
  • 1 view

Badge +2

Scenario:  I have a workflow in which 5 of the activities have client events (SmartForms if that matters).  Some of these client event-activities must be 'skipped' based on the outcomes of prior activities and other data tracked by the workflow (e.g. skip Senior Leadership Review activity if amount < 5000 OR Oucome of Manager Review = denied).  The rules are sufficiently complex that I don't want to litter the workflow with a plethora of line rules going every which way imaginable.  My workflow has a 'decision' activity before each client event-activity.  These 'decision' activities are sequentially strung and the workflow should only branch off to the client event under the right conditions.  The client event activites route to the next decision activity (e.g. Client Event Activity1 routes to Decision Activity2).  The decision activities use a Data Event to perform the actual evaluation and stores the result in a boolean process data field (e.g. BranchToCE2 = true/false).  This keeps the line rules very simple especialy since I need the inverse rule on the 'downward' line rules that go from decision activity to decision activity (to prevent the workflow from splitting into parallel activities).

Decision Activity1 -> Line Rule -> Client Event Activity1

|

V

Decision Activity2 -> Line Rule -> Client Event Activity2

|

V

Decision Activity3 -> Line Rule -> Client Event Activity3

|

V

Decision Activity4 -> Line Rule -> Client Event Activity4

|

V

Decision Activity5 -> Line Rule -> Client Event Activity5

|

V

Other workflow activities

Problem: I would like to capture the outcome of a particular client-event and store it in a process data field so I can use it later on (in one of the decision activities).

Attempted solution:  I added a Data Event immediately following the client event (same activity) and configured the data event to store the activity's Outcome value into a process data field.  However, when I run the workflow, the process data field is not updated with the outcome.  Data audit never shows the value changing for this process data field.

Any ideas?

Thank you.

2 replies

Badge +5

You should be able to accomplish this by using the Action Result instead of the Outcome so long as the data event follows the client event and is in the same activity.  Can you give that a try and let us know if it's working as expected?

Thanks,

Jimmy

Badge +2

Yes, switching to Action Result did work.

Thank you!